Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Altered Quilt Top >

Altered Quilt Top

Altered Quilt Top

Old 07-14-2011, 06:18 AM

I can't believe that she would do such a thing to your quilt.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:27 AM

Totally not acceptable.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:28 AM

I would NOT use her again. She's took liberties with something that was not her's.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy
My friend took hers to a LA who cut off the scallops she had so carefully added on the edges. The quilting was beautiful but the look my friend was going for was ruined.
Horrible!!! However, a quilt that isn't square is very difficult to put on a longarm...mark your scallops but don't cut them until after the quilting is done!

About the altered top...what your LAer did was absolutely unbelievable!!! I have given customers back their quilt and backing when the backing was too small and had them add to the backing so it would work on my LA. I would NEVER consider cutting down their quilt :shock: except to make it squared up so I could attach it to my leaders properly. Your LAer should not charge you for the quilting, and should reimburse you for the cost of your materials and time to piece the quilt. Unless you are willing to have her destroy any quilt you take to her, don't go back. There are many LAers out there who will respect the work you have put into your quilt and enhance it's beauty with their quilting...and not cut your quilt up to suit themselves. I am absolutely blown away that a LAer would even have such a "solution" cross their mind!!! :thumbdown: Heck, I'll contact my customers if there is a piece of their quilt coming unsewn and ask them how they want me to handle it - it is not my quilt and I have no right as the LAer to make those kind of choices.

I am so sorry this happened to you...and don't go back to her because who knows what this loose cannon will come up with next!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:00 AM

If it were me, I would expect the LA quilter will make good for her mistake or misunderstanding by offering a HUGE refund on what you were charged.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Banned

Oh wow -- that would be really upsetting. She should have checked with you first.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:48 AM

I did have my quilter use a different pattern than we had agreed on. I thought it was my mistake, but my daughter noticed it too. I did take another quilt to her, and asked her why she changed the design. She seemed genuinely surprised.

BUT to cut your quilt???? That is crossing the line! I would never use that person again. How hard would it have been to pick up the phone and call you? Even to call you up and have you sew the sheets together. I am sorry for you.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:57 AM

I can't believe you are talking about going back to this person to do more quilting for you. There must be someone else in your area who can LAQ for you.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 AM

At the very least, she should have called you before cutting the top. It's a sad, sad misunderstanding. She COULD also have asked why you gave her TWO sheets. I'm thinking that SHE wasn't thinking.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 AM

Absolutely unbelievable!! She would not get a dime from me. Basically, she made the quilt unuseable for you. Your time and fabric expense would not come close to being compensated for even if you did not pay for the quilting. You are far more generous than I am, she would never touch another one of my quilts!