Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Altered Quilt Top >

Altered Quilt Top

Altered Quilt Top

Old 07-14-2011, 03:43 PM

Doesn't this woman have a cell phone??? She should have taken the two minutes it would have needed to call you. So sorry this happened to you.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:40 PM

Horrible!! Horrible!!! I can feel your hurt and disappointmet and you have a right to feel both. She was so wrong in what she did to you!!!! Make her pay you for the quilt, the fabric, the time you spent piecing it, the frustration and your disappointment. That still wouldn't pay you enough for her ruining your work.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

She should buy that quilt!
Old 07-15-2011, 04:16 AM

Yes, my quilter altered my very first quilt but I was the lucky recepient of her work. I had no idea my quilt was so out of square (what we learn on that first quilt.) Bless my quilter's heart, she took pity on poor novice me and actually made tucks in the quilt to square it up so it would fit on the frame. Luckily, the pattern and fabric concealed the tucks. Seems everytime I make a quilt, I learn a little bit more. But I sure learned a lesson about accurate cutting and 1/4 inch seams.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:19 AM

Give her another chance ? I don't think so. She should have called you. That wasn't "a trim" that was a whack job ! I would ask for some of my money back. Does she not realize future work is based on word of mouth.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cbuchanan
Yes, my quilter altered my very first quilt but I was the lucky recepient of her work. I had no idea my quilt was so out of square (what we learn on that first quilt.) Bless my quilter's heart, she took pity on poor novice me and actually made tucks in the quilt to square it up so it would fit on the frame. Luckily, the pattern and fabric concealed the tucks. Seems everytime I make a quilt, I learn a little bit more. But I sure learned a lesson about accurate cutting and 1/4 inch seams.
Making tucks in an out of square quilt is common LAing practice. Done well and thoughtfully they should be barely noticiable, if not noticable at all. Often that is the only solution available for an out of square quilt top. Taking a few tucks in the border is a far cry from what the OP's LA did and I would not consider taking a tucks altering the quilt. It is usually done when the quilt is actually on the frame.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
this was a break down from the beginning

i don't even know a LA that would use sheets for the backing and i certainly have never known a LA that would be willing to piece a back for the customer.

if you wanted her to piece your back it was up to you to tell her and then at least a conversation could have taken place on the issue.

then the LA should have called you and said your back isn't big enough for the top bring me a different backing fabric when you can and the top will sit here until you do.

My LA would do those things and has for me.....I took in a quilt with what I thought was enuf backing....long story short, it was 6" short, no matter which way we tried to piece.....I was in a very tight spot (waiting on the call for transplant) and she told me she would work it out....I trusted her and left the quilt in her hands....she liked the fabric so much (small red, gray, black and white stripe), she ended up finding the fabric at another store and bought the correct amount for my quilt and kept the first amount for herself! She finished the quilt in 1 week and I was able to give to my DGD for Christmas on time! I cannot tell you how much I appreciated what she did for me and I tell everyone I know. She deserves as much business as I can give her.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:00 AM

Now that is cusomer service
Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
this was a break down from the beginning

i don't even know a LA that would use sheets for the backing and i certainly have never known a LA that would be willing to piece a back for the customer.

if you wanted her to piece your back it was up to you to tell her and then at least a conversation could have taken place on the issue.

then the LA should have called you and said your back isn't big enough for the top bring me a different backing fabric when you can and the top will sit here until you do.

My LA would do those things and has for me.....I took in a quilt with what I thought was enuf backing....long story short, it was 6" short, no matter which way we tried to piece.....I was in a very tight spot (waiting on the call for transplant) and she told me she would work it out....I trusted her and left the quilt in her hands....she liked the fabric so much (small red, gray, black and white stripe), she ended up finding the fabric at another store and bought the correct amount for my quilt and kept the first amount for herself! She finished the quilt in 1 week and I was able to give to my DGD for Christmas on time! I cannot tell you how much I appreciated what she did for me and I tell everyone I know. She deserves as much business as I can give her.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:18 AM

This is exactly why I'm afraid to work on someone else's quilt yet. I mean, I would NEVER think that cutting off part of someone else's work is EVER acceptable, but mistakes happen.

I agree with other posters- unless you have a LONG discussion with the LA-er, and she explains exactly why she thought it was OK to butcher your quilt, AND gives you a refund, I would not return to her.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1227Granny
Really! I couldn't believe it either! My quilt top was 108x110. I took two sheets for the backing. When I picked it up- my quilter had cut the 6 1/2 outer border down to 3". She said the top was too wide for the sheet. Duh - that is why I took to sheets!! Now the quilt isn't wide enough for my bed. I am really upset!
She should put the 3 1/2" back on that she took off. What she did is not acceptable.