Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!! >

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

Old 07-15-2011, 03:47 AM

I have had the same problem but I got better when I made 12 mug rugs. It was small and easy to handle. It really helped just practicing on something little. Then I could look at the corners and see which ones turned out best and because it was so a quick thing, I could remember what I did on each one.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:53 AM

Seems like there are a few different sizes of the cut that works for different people! I do 2.5 also.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:04 AM

I cut my binding strips at 2.25. I use a 1/4" seam allowance when sewing it to the quilt. The strip is folded lengthwise and ironed. I sew my bindings on the back and then turn them to the front. I then use a decorative stitch to sew the binding down. A walking foot is helpful, but some stitches wouldn't work with that foot. I still sometimes get a wrinkle or two in my binding and I know that it's supposed to be hand stitched to the back, but I want mine finished and I don't like hand anything so this is the way that I do it. Simply quilts has a good way for connecting the ends so it just looks like a seam and that's the way I connect mine. My quilts aren't perfect and neither is the binding, but they're finished and loved and that's what matters. It takes practice like anything else.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I use 2 1/2" strips and I use a "just over" 1/4" seam allowance, close to the 3/8"
That's exactly what I do. When I roll the fabric over to the other side I glue baste it and iron it down, no pins necessary this way. I machine stitch mine, but hand stitching will work too. You just have to make sure your raw edge that you are encasing is very straight, that's the key here IMO.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
I have made at least 100 quilts and can say I dont mind binding but that hasnt always been the case. Recently I came across Sharon Schambers glue method for binding. It is so precise and the results are perfect. You can find the videos (3 parts) on youtube.com then search for Sharon Schamber binding. Go slow and you will be happy with the results. It is a little more time consuming the first couple of times. I use 2.25" strips but you may be more comfortable with 2.5". A lot also depends on how thick your batting is. I always use a thin batting.
GREAT video...thanks!
Old 07-15-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I use 2 1/2" strips and I use a "just over" 1/4" seam allowance, close to the 3/8"
Same here. Actually, I use the width of the walking foot, which is about 3/8".
Old 07-15-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I always do double binding....cut strip 2 1/2", fold in half, then stitch to front of quilt with 1/4" seam. Flip to back of quilt and hand stitch!!! Works for me!!
This is how I do mine. I am a fairly new quilter and I tried a few different ways, but this is what looks the best.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:06 AM

I cut the 2 1/2 inch strips, and sew them together, on the slant, until I have enough to do the whole quilt, then press them in half...I then sew it to the back side, which eliminates the raw edges, and then turn it, and sew onto the front, there is the fold, no raw edges.......I use the 1/4 inch foot guide, and it works great. Be in a calm state though when trying it, if I am upset, or nervous about something, I mess anything up, every time.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I always do double binding....cut strip 2 1/2", fold in half, then stitch to front of quilt with 1/4" seam. Flip to back of quilt and hand stitch!!! Works for me!!
This works for me, too!
Old 07-15-2011, 05:23 AM

I cut all my bindings 2 1/2 inches press in half lenghtwise with wrong sides together and sew to the top side of the quilt and then fold to back and hand stitch it. If you have thick batting you might want it a little wider, because your binding should be filled with batting also. Hope this helps and wish you were close to me so I could help you in person. Karen McTavish used to live close to me and she hated doing bindings and would bring her quilts to me to bind.