Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some tips...a little overwhelmed >

Need some tips...a little overwhelmed

Need some tips...a little overwhelmed

Old 07-15-2011, 06:22 AM

Wow ... some great suggestions here! My only thought to add is don't stress over it. Get your sewing area set up so you can sit down & sew! As you begin to enjoy the area, you will realize what needs to be where, and you can do it in baby steps. It doesn't all have to be done today! :)
Old 07-15-2011, 06:30 AM

I will certainly take note of some of the storage solutions offered here too. But for your "new" sewing world.......just begin working in it and you will arrange and re-arrange a dozen times before things get comfortable for you. You certainly have a great space to play in........along with shelving units........remember under tables are great places to store too. I think I need to go shopping for more clear plastic bins too!!!!!! Since I purchased my GO cutter, scraps are now taking great shapes!!!!!!!and a reason to be in my sewing cave....
Old 07-15-2011, 06:58 AM

I agree - a quilter can never have too may shelves. I keep all my books in large, clear storage bins w/the lids on so they can be stacked. I find I don't need those as much as I do the fabric so if they are more out of the way, that's OK for me. I stack the books in the bins w/the ends showing & all turned the same way so I can quickly see the title/author. I use smaller boxes/bins for projects in process or "smaller" scraps sorted by sizes. Also have bins for selvedges & pineapple strips. Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:05 AM

Your space is wonderful. If, perhaps, you are like me you will find that even after you organize your spaces, i.e. kits, yardgoods, FQs, trim & lace, you will find that after you begin your sewing projects you may want to make some changes in your storage. I find that as my interests change so do my storage needs. I have jewelry making spaces, I have tote and bag storage places, I have oil painting and water color spaces, I have my picture frames, which I use to frame my Gchildren's art, I need an ironing station for napkins and placemat ironing, I need graph paper, tracing paper, note cards (for printing), and many times these interests overlap each other. So my storage needs change as my priorities change and I don't get to flustered if I must make changes. Change means getting more organized and I can say I always find something that I forgot that I have.

Another important part of my "arts and crafts" room is my peg board, which hangs in front of my sewing machine. This helps me keep small items out where I can see them and replace them as needed.

I hope all our input helps you and I wish you happy sewing and crafting. Yolanda Wood River
Old 07-15-2011, 07:12 AM

First thing I'd add would be a pegboard. Think shelves and drawers. IKEA is the best source for repositionable furniture for office use. Your cutting surface doesn't have to be large....a 24x26" cutting mat will serve you well plus a couple smaller ones to use in other places.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:36 AM

First, turn your sewing machine around so you can sit in the chair and sew! As you work, you'll find what you need closest to you and what can/needs to be further away. The ironing board away from sewing area is a good idea; as is cutting area. I set up my new sewing room by working in it and it has worked well for 3 years now. Have fun!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:04 AM

To me, light is the most important thing. so I always put my sewing machine near a window with it either in front of me or at my left shoulder so I get good light at the needle. I like a nice view as well. I put my cutting board at a height that is good for me, so I am not breaking my back doing cutting. Then I organize my fabrics, by using my closet with movable shelves for maximum storage. You have a good shelve for your books. Go either by author or kind of quilt book. I try and have a good design wall and it looks like you have one available. Jan
Old 07-15-2011, 09:07 AM

Wow so many good suggestions! Thank you so much! This is wonderful!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:45 AM

there is a website called container store.com they have a place that they will design a space for you based on your answer to a few questions I think it's under the closet design then they will process info immed and you can down load the design for free. they did my closet and it was easy to go to the store with their design in hand and get the stuff they recommended (I did not make final purchase at their store since it is too far away) Might want to try it out
Old 07-15-2011, 11:04 AM

This is just a tip I found to store my FQ's in. It is shelves to store DVD in and it is just the right size. I put them on cards . I buy the cards for $10.00 a 100 but you cut them in half so you have 200. It is so easy to see what you have.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-226848.jpe
Views:	82
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	226854