Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!! >

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

Old 07-15-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I use 2 1/2" strips and I use a "just over" 1/4" seam allowance, close to the 3/8"
Same for me. Works the best and fills the binding completely
Old 07-15-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I had trouble for quite awhile with too much binding folding to the back of my quilt. The front and back were obviously uneven (wider on the back than front) and that bugged me. I was cutting my strips at 2 1/2". I tried using 2" strips and that worked really well for just barely covering the stitches when folded to the back. I pretty much use the same kind of batting with all my quilts so thickness doesn't vary much at all from quilt to quilt.

As for hand stitching, it is hard to describe. The link that Chele posted for Dreamweavers tutorial is a good one. It has really clear pictures. It's the site I found when I was trying to figure out how to hand stitch binding.

I wish I was closer because I would gladly help you with both binding and FMQ. I'm not perfect at either but I've come a long ways with both since I first started quilting. But alas, KY is quite a ways from MS. :)

Aww, thanks for your kind offer! I wish I was closer too, just because you are so nice to offer help to a dummy like me! lol
Old 07-15-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by capucine
Sorry to hear about your problem with binding i am like that when it comes to putting the quilt together after pinning a thousands pins and started my quilting i had to unpick about 6 rows of stitch in the ditch and remove all of the pins because the backing was all up the s...t :( and my fingers was screaming for mercy I hate this process but i love the process of finding pattern,fabric,and the actual sewing the little squares etc... Please don't give up you will find lots of helpers right here, my quilt is all unpick for another day maybe i'll pay $250.00 for some one to quilt it for me:(
Ugh! I am so sorry for you and dread the rest even more! I have never made a regular size anything that was a "real pieced, basted, and quilted", So I am sure I will be screaming about that too when the time comes!! I bite my fingernails somewhat and those little safety pins kill my fingers too! I will probably spray baste, whenever I can find 505 spray in my area!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Iamquilter
I cut all my bindings 2 1/2 inches press in half lenghtwise with wrong sides together and sew to the top side of the quilt and then fold to back and hand stitch it. If you have thick batting you might want it a little wider, because your binding should be filled with batting also. Hope this helps and wish you were close to me so I could help you in person. Karen McTavish used to live close to me and she hated doing bindings and would bring her quilts to me to bind.

Wow! You must be wickedly good at binding for her to bring them to you!! What a confidence builder that would be :) Go You!!
Old 07-15-2011, 03:12 PM

I cut my binding 2.25 inches and use a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Then when I trim the quilt, I trim 1/2-inch from the seam line. This allows enough batting to fill the binding. Then I flip it to the back, mitre the corners, and hand stitch it down. The edge of my binding usually just covers the stitching line.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

I use 2 1/2 inch strips.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:13 PM

I cut my binding 2.25 inches and use a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Then when I trim the quilt, I trim 1/2-inch from the seam line. This allows enough batting to fill the binding. Then I flip it to the back, mitre the corners, and hand stitch it down. The edge of my binding usually just covers the stitching line. I like to have the binding show about the same on the front and back. Doesn't always happen, but that's my goal.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by My time
21/2 inch strips folded in half, sewed on with a 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch seam.I like Kay Woods way for mitered corners as well. Try a practice piece Charlie Brown. (sorry I couldn't resist).

LOLOLOLOLOL...I know that sounds silly, but that was the first thing I thought of...pretty sad! lol
Old 07-15-2011, 03:25 PM

I cut 2 1/2 inch strips, fold wrong sides together, press well, sew 1/4 inch on the back and turn to the front, press well and stitch by machine. By all means use a walking foot, it is invaluable. I find if I go slow and be careful it turns out good.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
Sorry for the yelling, but I am just sooo discouraged!! I have watched a blue million videos, but still manage to screw things up. How do you figure what your seam allowance should be for binding? I didn't realize you had to do this, as I thought everything was 1/4"...not that my 1/4" is great.

What size of strip do you use when making binding? What allowance do you use when machine sewing? GAHHHHHHH!!!! I feel like Charlie Brown when he lands on his back from missing the football kick! :-/
If you get the Binding Gizmo you won't go wrong and every binding will come out perfect. You can google "Binding Gizmo" to find it or if you like Nancy's site here is her web site.
http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...ok+and+tool.do