Singer 403a

Old 07-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

My 411G was hitting the presser foot. I tried everything finally, I replaced the bent needle shaft on my Singer 411G. It was not hard to do - it took about an hour - most of the time was spent timing the needle and the shuttle. I did not think the needle shaft was bent until I got it out and compared it to the donor's needle shaft. There is a picture on the bottom of this page: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-6.htm and link to my discussion of it http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1202.htm#3520792 and more on http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1169.htm
Old 07-15-2011, 06:16 PM

Lots of the plates on these slant-needle machines have this needle strike damage. Having the needle enter the fabric at an angle makes needle deflection more likely when sewing through heavy or dense fabrics. The needle is overloaded and bends upward, putting the tip into the needle plate instead of the hole.

Almost all of my slant-needle machines have damage like this on the all-purpose needle plate and usually, it doesn't cause any trouble. If the damage is catching the thread and breaking it or causing skipped stitches, you'll have to try to get rid of them.

You can grind burrs off of the hole with a fine needle file or Dremel grinder tip or you could use emery cord on a single-needle hole plate.

I just re-read your message and you're saying that the needle is rubbing against this needle strike damage, so I would guess that either something is gunked up enough inside the machine to hold the needle bar too far forward or the needle bar is actually bent. I will try to find some pictures I took to show my daughter where to oil and jiggle her 401 and put them in here.

Oiling points under the face plate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227031[/ATTACH]

This is a closeup of the lowest oiling point shown in the first picture. Keep this oiled and push the needle bar side to side and back and forth.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227033[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-227025.jpe
Views:	749
Size:	824.9 KB
ID:	227031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-227027.jpe
Views:	591
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	227033  
Old 07-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

thepolyparrot, I would add... if someone used 3 in one oil those points you so clearly show will need to be thoroughly cleaned with something - that 3 in one oil is awful when it gets dried.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:44 PM

Yes, it is - nasty stuff. I get it off of stainless and brass with denatured alcohol or acetone on q-tips or acid brushes. Don't let either of those get near painted surfaces, though.

It does do a good job of getting that hardened amber looking stuff off of bare metal - you can see bits of it left on the top of this fitting on the bottom. I think that's considered a sure sign of someone using 3-in-1 oil.

Funny thing is, 3-in-1 oil used to be advertised specifically for sewing machines. :)

Don't - believe - anything - you - read - in - this - ad! ;)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227041[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-227035.jpe
Views:	584
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	227041  
Old 07-15-2011, 06:52 PM

I have owned this machine for over 50 years now when I bought it new in MD. This happen to me recently and after going crazy with it decided to remove the plate. Then took the bobbin area out for the first time and found a thread caught up in the back of it. I cleaned it out and put all back in again, wew...now works like a dream.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Yes, it is - nasty stuff. I get it off of stainless and brass with denatured alcohol or acetone on q-tips or acid brushes. Don't let either of those get near painted surfaces, though.

It does do a good job of getting that hardened amber looking stuff off of bare metal - you can see bits of it left on the top of this fitting on the bottom. I think that's considered a sure sign of someone using 3-in-1 oil.

Funny thing is, 3-in-1 oil used to be advertised specifically for sewing machines. :)

I had one machine gooed up so it wouldn't turn - I used xylene on it - it does dissolve plastic and paint instantly but it does the same to the 3-in-one oil on gears and moving parts - use very carefully and well vented area. You have to work very fast - no plastic brush - it dissolves goo fast but it evaporates fast as well
Old 11-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

It could just be a bent needle. I was able to fix my machine with the bent shaft by replacing the shaft - someone must have pulled real hard on some heavy fabric or something. The needle goes in flat to the back and threads front to back. I hope you have it working by now.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:09 AM

I have this same machine and my husband bought mine at an auction for $5.00. Mine sews great after I cleaned, oiled her up but it will only straight stitch. It has a cam for zig zag but can't get it to work but for the money they are great, heavy and NOT plastic. good luck with it.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bmanley View Post
I have this same machine and my husband bought mine at an auction for $5.00. Mine sews great after I cleaned, oiled her up but it will only straight stitch. It has a cam for zig zag but can't get it to work but for the money they are great, heavy and NOT plastic. good luck with it.
Take a very careful look at thepolyparrot's last picture - jiggle that piece on the needle bar and see if it will go side to side. If it doesn't move freely, you need to clean that part - then follow that arm over to the cam reader. Under the reader there is another little part that moves side to side just like that one on the needle bar. Clean it up too - try denatured alcohol very carefully and it should un-gunk your machine. You will have to paint it on, jiggle it back and forth and paint some more on. My sister uses a panty liner to absorb excess alcohol as she goes. Also do you have it set for width? 5 would be the widest 1 the narrowest. Do you have a manual? http://www.using-sewing-machines.com/Singer403.html Those are a bit tricky to work if you don't have a manual.

Last edited by miriam; 11-06-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:59 AM

I'm sorry to say I don't have any bobbins, but I do have a box of 403 attachments - 403 slant-o-matic attachments - extra throat plate, 6 cams or disks, hemmer foot, appliqué foot, ruffler, zipper foot, button foot and darning foot and manual – also printed instruction sheet from seamstress who had the machine – $25 & ship/handling