Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!! >

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

Old 07-15-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
Sorry for the yelling, but I am just sooo discouraged!! I have watched a blue million videos, but still manage to screw things up. How do you figure what your seam allowance should be for binding? I didn't realize you had to do this, as I thought everything was 1/4"...not that my 1/4" is great.

What size of strip do you use when making binding? What allowance do you use when machine sewing? GAHHHHHHH!!!! I feel like Charlie Brown when he lands on his back from missing the football kick! :-/
What works best for me is 2-3/4 inches wide with a 3/8" seam allowance.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:05 PM

For quilts, I cut my strips 2 1/2 inches, sew them together diagonally, press in half wrong sides together and sew to the top with a generous 1/4 inch seam allowance. If I am making a wall hanging or table runner with thinner batting I use 2 1/4 inch strips. I practiced making pot holders and placemats. They are quick to make and give you lots of practice turning corners and joining the ends.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:37 PM

The width of the strip i cut is determined by my desire at the time. Some quilts i want the binding to be brely visible, so I cut 1 1/2- 1 3/4 in strip fold in half legthwise, sew with a 1/4 seam to the front , turn to back and hand stitch down. If I want the binding to stand out, i decide how much, multply by 2. I then sew where I wanted the binding to show on the front.
You want your binding to have quilt between the layers, not just extra fabric at the edges. (Been there, done that-don't-leran from my mistake)
You'll get the hang of it. I have faith in you.:)
Old 07-15-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I always do double binding....cut strip 2 1/2", fold in half, then stitch to front of quilt with 1/4" seam. Flip to back of quilt and hand stitch!!! Works for me!!
I have fought with binding for years until I tried this method and it works for me, finally!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by luvstitches
Wish I lived close to you because I would show you or just do the binding for you. Binding is the grand finale of quilting and I love it.
Hang in there...you'll get it down pat soon.
Thanks for the sweet thought, because I would sure take you up on it if we lived close enough :) I know I could have it done, but my pride would surely get in the way. I have to learn how to do ALL of it, eventually, or I will just find a new hobby! I am not a "half-way" kind of person...doesn't help my sanity one bit either! lol
Old 07-16-2011, 09:08 AM

I always do double binding....cut strip 2 1/2", fold in half, then stitch to front of quilt with 1/4" seam. Flip to back of quilt and hand stitch!!! Works for me!!
Does these same measurements apply for when you do a table runner????
Old 07-17-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I use 2 1/2" strips and I use a "just over" 1/4" seam allowance, close to the 3/8"
Ditto! I struggled for a long time. You will get it, keep trying! Hugs to you!! :-D
Old 07-17-2011, 08:17 AM

This sounds confusingf. I you sue 1/4" on the front doesn't that leave 1and1/2 feet for the binding? Ane what if your borders ie 4 inche widr. Does the same gui
Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 AM

I measure the width of the quilt times 2, plus the length of the quilt times 2, add 12 inches to determine the length my binding needs to be. I cut my binding stripes 2.5 inches wide by the length. Fold binding wrong sides together and press. Starting near the center of one side of the quilt pin the raw edges of the binding along the raw edges of the quilt sandwich and stitch 3/8 of an inch from the raw edge, around four sides of the quilt, leaving about the last 12 inches unstitched. Follow the directions to make no lump binding, turn binding to the back with the edge of the binding at the edge of the stitching line and hand whip down.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:33 AM

I do the same. Double binding is more durable and the time I spend hand stitching gives me a chance to glance at the quilt for any top threads that need to be buried.