Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite sewing machine for quilters >

Favorite sewing machine for quilters

Favorite sewing machine for quilters

Old 07-16-2011, 07:33 AM

for piecing-Brother Nouvelle 1500, for PP-Pfaff Grand Quilter, for quilting-Voyager 17 long arm, and for finishing and any fancy stitching-Janome 6600
Old 07-16-2011, 07:40 AM

We refurbish machines so we have found good features on many- favorites still are Pfaff, Necchi, Husquvarna, Singer 301, 403, and several others. Sevral of the Japanese vintage machines are great.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:42 AM

what is it called... want to research online....
Originally Posted by Kitsie
Originally Posted by pjaco
Love my Pfaffs.
Me Too! Love the wide throat and wouldn't be without the IDT.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:44 AM

I've had a Janome Quilters Companion for 8 years now and just love it. It has not given me any problems. Has great stitch variety. Good luck in your search.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Be sure to read about the Singer, Pfaff, Viking merger/buy out while you're considering a purchase. Google SVP buy out.

I have the new Bernina 830 and think it's a perfect quilting machine. But, I also have a Janome 9000 which I love and several other vintage machines. There's a new Janome machine being released, so stay tuned... Have you checked out the Janome Horizon?
What about this new machine? The Horizon is new. Have not heard about this. Any information would be great. Thanks
Old 07-16-2011, 07:52 AM

So you do all your machine quilting with it? That`s what I need....looking till i have enough money....the Expression 2.0 sounds like what i would need
Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
I love Pfaff machines. My primary machine is a Pfaff Quilt Expression 2.0. I call her my QE2. She's as big as an ocean liner and works just as hard. The Expression 3.0 and 4.0 have more stitches, auto thread cutter, start/stop button, etc. - all features I didn't think I needed and still don't miss. The large harp will handle large quilts and the darning foot is wonderfully smooth for FMQ. Priced around $1500. I got mine on sale for $1100 two years ago. I'm very happy with the investment. I also have a Brother SQ-9000 which works well for piecing and sewing GD's clothes, but it doesn't come anywhere close to the Pfaff for FMQ.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:58 AM

I loved my Janome 6600, and am now enjoying the Janome Horizon 7700, which has an 11" throat space to fit more quilt into. The automatic plate converter converts the wide slot to a single hole throat plate with the touch of a button....no more sucking the fabric down the hole..;-) Free motion is wonderful, with a choice of an alternative bobbin case, if you want. The walking foot is built in when you want to sew multiple layers with batting without shifting and puckering. I call mine "Ruby Slippers" for her shimmery dark red panel, and that she takes me away to another world where I can play. The service is the best where I purchased my machine at Edwards Sewing Center in Fort Wayne, IN... and classes are free when you buy your machine there. :)
Old 07-16-2011, 08:09 AM

I have a Brother Quattro that is fantastic for free motion (and everything else), it has a special free motion setting & even though it doesn't have a stitch regulator it is possible to get even stitches.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:10 AM

When I went to Demo the Janome horizen at my LQS - I mentioned that I was going to go to the Knoxville show and asked if she would match the price. She came down about 25% - I figured that was as good as the quilt show + there is the loyalty issue and I didn't spend the time (4 hrs each way)and the gas - another quilter on this board put me onto that knowledge - and it worked marvelously !! Plus she and I are on a first name basis - she also does all the repairs and unlimited free classes came with the machine - I thought that was worth the price - this is so unlike the Singer I learned on in the 50's!! Fantastic features !!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:18 AM

I had the Janome 6500 for years it replaced a Pfaff that was a lemon at best. Last year I bought the Janome Horizon 7700 for a number of reasons. The only thing I liked about the Pfaff was the IDT and the 6500 did not have the accufeed. The Horizon has better lighting, which is great for my agin eyes. I also missed having a free arm -- the Horizon has that.

For many years I had the Jem Platinum 720 (it was free when I bought the 6500) -- it was light weight and went to class with me. A few months ago I bought the Janome 3160 (call me spoiled, but I missed my thread cutter) which is 12 pounds and a great machine for class.

I have a Juki on a Grace frame for big quilts, but do smaller quilts on the Horizon.