Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need help on having a lasting and happy marriage!  How do you do it? >

Need help on having a lasting and happy marriage! How do you do it?

Need help on having a lasting and happy marriage! How do you do it?

Old 07-16-2011, 07:47 AM

Never go to bed mad. You can't fight while holding hands. Speak softly; shouting escalates anger. Choose your battles carefully; very few things are really worth fighting over. A happy marriage is the hardest job you will ever have; give it 110% for 100% of the time. DH and I have been married 42 years; my parents were married 75 years; his parents married 46 years (until DFs passed). Good wishes, and congratulations on Wanting marriage to be a success.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:48 AM

Thanks for all the good advice but mind all the bitches out there......speeialy when there is a baby in the cradle.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:54 AM

Married 51 years and love him with all my heart.We have had our bumps in the road but worked them out some were not easy but we did it.both have to give a little and I think our success of our marriage is to laugh alot and each get away from each other for a couple of hours every once in a while
Old 07-16-2011, 07:55 AM

I have been married 58 years this Oct. We had children right away we both loved them so much and they loved us to . There was never a thought of leaving each other. We never let them hear us are see us mad at each other. never left with out a hug. Never hang up a phone call with out saying I love you, same with the children. And most of all never put each other down to other people. I love him more now than the day I married him. He is 81 and I am 78
Old 07-16-2011, 07:58 AM

First and formost you both as individuals and as a couple need to seek God and make him Lord of your life. He will see you through. We have been married 23 years and through more then most have. We have had some very rocky times and times we wanted to throw it all away. We have learned time and time again that when you take that additude of divorce as an answer you are not commited. There is so much givig and taking and it needs to be done in love. Our pastor just did a great sermon on this- will see if I can get a link to it if anyone is interested
Old 07-16-2011, 08:36 AM

After 56 years, I'm still trying to figure it out!LOL But, we had common goals( our children) and making things work for all of us. Lots of tears, good and bad times, and probably above all else, lots and lots of prayers that God would help us keep our love strong enough to weather anything. And like my dad told us, never go to sleep without kissing goodnight, hard to stay mad when you do that!!LOL
Old 07-16-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by pollym44
PRAY---HARD,--REAL HARD!!!!! :roll: You two are a cute couple. Married 35 yrs to same old goat. :lol: Do pray for blessing for your marriage and life together. TALK, TRUST and RESPECT each other. BLESSINGS !!!!!!!
LOL !! It does take a lot of prayer, that is for sure!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:41 AM

We will have our 49th anniversary in September. One thing I learned many years ago is that if I do everything I can to make him happy, I will be happy. He will never be perfect, but then neither will I. I had to learn to accept him as he is. We were married young too. I was 18, he was 21. I think when you marry young the first 10 to 15 years are the hardest because you are both still 'growing up.'
Old 07-16-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by BarbaraSue
The only advice I will give you is that you both need to believe in each other as the person they are as well as who they will become. Meaning: you must allow each other to grow as an individual as you are growing as a couple.
Neither should be stifled/smothered/denied the opportunity to learn, to have hobbies, or to give up dreams. You each have the the right to be the you you want to be.
Talk honestly about your dreams/wishes and where you want to be in 5 more years. Listen to each other.
An example is my DH and I will be married 40 years this fall. We both went back to school and got our degrees after we were married and with kids. I love to sew and quilt; he does woodworking. He is taking flying lessons as he always wanted to fly. We moved from southern IN to central IL for his job opportunity. It was a mutual decision.
Lastly, do not assume anything. That can be the start of taking for granted what one of you do for the relationship. It takes 2 (3 if you include God) to make a marriage, but it only takes one to make a mess that ends it all. Good Luck!:)
We have been married 53 years and all this was great advice. We were married young 19 and have grown up and older together.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:05 AM

Trust, love, and cooking skills.