Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No >

Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No

Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No

Old 07-16-2011, 07:40 AM

Yes to the thimble. I got my best one at a quilt show from a man who made them. I have very small fingers. Also this thimble was open at the top so my nail did not bang up against the inside and it also made it easier for it to fit. I do not do binding or hand quilting without it.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:40 AM

when I did more hand quilting and was not really used to wearing a thimble I was told by a vintage quilter to wear the thimble for a day......doing everything around the house with it and your brain will accept it as the end of your finger and then you will feel comfortable with it on. It worked for me.....
Old 07-16-2011, 07:42 AM

I don't use a thimble either. My husband is a blood donor, I use the stretchy tape they put around his arm. It sticks to itself so it comes off and on easily, can be reused, keeps me from sticking myself without feeling unnatural. Try it.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:45 AM

I have 3 diff. sizes of thimbles. In the morning my fingers are thick like hotdogs. They gradually get slimmer during the day and by evening the 'morning' thimble would fall off.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:47 AM

I just bought a soft rubber thimble at Sue's Sewing for under $2 and it works great. I didn't do well with the metal ones, they fell off all the time. The rubber ones stay with your finger. I love it.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
The only one I can use is clover leather thimble. I have small hands and get the small.
Me too...small fingers and leather thimble.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:09 AM

Am I the only person on the board that changes which finger goes in the thimble? I am left handed and really change which finger the thimble is on,with the direction I am quilting. I know ths is odd, but it works for me. I can only get used to the leather one with the knitted top on it. I don't remember the brand, but it came from JoAnn's a long time ago.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:20 AM

I have a Roxanne's thimble, which I love. They are sized like a ring, so you get a really nice fit. They are pricey, $48.00 but I think worth it if you are able to find the right size.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
The only one I can use is clover leather thimble. I have small hands and get the small.
This is the only one I've found that will stay on my finger. I bought the small one.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by BeckiQuilts
Am I the only person on the board that changes which finger goes in the thimble? I am left handed and really change which finger the thimble is on,with the direction I am quilting. I know ths is odd, but it works for me. I can only get used to the leather one with the knitted top on it. I don't remember the brand, but it came from JoAnn's a long time ago.
I sew with both hands, yes both left and right. I wear a thimble on both middle and ring fingers. No, not 4 at once, just two ;) It just depends on what I am working on and how think the material is. I use the metal clover thimbles. They are adjustable.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-227205.jpe
Views:	80
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	227211