Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question for you experts out there >

question for you experts out there

question for you experts out there

Old 07-16-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by alapetitechaise
If you want a crazy quilt motif, could you cut muslin to the desired size and use the string quilt method to sew fabric to the muslin?
good idea. Muslin would look pretty with a quilt block. Do you mean alternating strips of muslin with a row of some size of quilt blocks. That is what i picture in my mind, but will go check out sting quilting, to know for sure. I could add a touch of embroider here and there or bows or buttons to dress the muslin up even more and further compliment the quilt blocks themself. I love finding ways to really make the dreses special fo these kids.

Thank you.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:43 AM

When I saw your dolls I thought: I like it that they don't have faces. Native Americans never put faces on the dolls they made (make) for their children. That way they child can use their imagineation to give the doll the personality they want. Nothing is worse than to see a doll with a smiling face when they are feeling sad or even angry. Please consider making some dolls without faces for these children. As for the skirts, you could just do a simple continual nine patch pattern.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:52 AM

Your dolls are precious! There are lots of good ideas here. I wish you plenty of success. The dresden plate idea, could you fuse the dresden plate pieces to another piece of fabric at least for the curved/pointed ends and then outline those curves/points with a decorative machine stitch? I have seen dolls with dresden plate type skirts before.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by gbquilter
When I saw your dolls I thought: I like it that they don't have faces. Native Americans never put faces on the dolls they made (make) for their children. That way they child can use their imagineation to give the doll the personality they want. Nothing is worse than to see a doll with a smiling face when they are feeling sad or even angry. Please consider making some dolls without faces for these children. As for the skirts, you could just do a simple continual nine patch pattern.
Thats a fine idea. Do they have a special Native American organization for children with serious medical problems that need a doll? Could you give me an address, etc???
Old 07-16-2011, 11:39 AM

Vicky,
Why couldn't you sew fabric together as if you were going to make a quilt then cut your skirts from that????
Old 07-16-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by wolflady
Vicky,
Why couldn't you sew fabric together as if you were going to make a quilt then cut your skirts from that????
That's a good idea. I would just hoping for easy and pretty at the same time. Right now I have 11 girl doll nightgowns to make plus the mop caps...42 faces to do,(counting the boy dolls 2faces) and after that ten boy dolls to dress.

YIKES
Old 07-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
Originally Posted by wordpaintervs
Originally Posted by Holice
I would use a patchwork printed cheater cloth.
or put a simple checkerboard patchwork band around the bottom of the skirt. You could do the patchwork and then sew a wide piece of plain fabric and iron it to the back for the backing, with no batting. Then if you have a serger can serge the border to the rest of the skirt.
never heard of a patchwork cheater sheet. Where would I find one.

What a great idea also to serge the skirts together. Here I've been hand sewing the skirts together and that would save lots of edge triming and sewing time. Thanks so much.
A "cheater" cloth is fabric that is printed with a quilt pattern. I like to use them especially for smaller projects like this, because you get the look of a quilt without the bulk of so many seams. Most fabric stores have some, and online might be a good source.
Hi wordpaintervs, I was just thinking the same thing. I have two pieces of fabric with different quilting patterns (Log Cabin, and one that looks like it has been quilted). Hope you received the other fabric I sent you. I would be happy to send you some of these fabrics if you like. How much fabric is needed? PM me. Again GOD bless for doing this. BrendaK
Old 07-16-2011, 12:47 PM

I'm going to try and put in a picture of a skirt I took off the internet. It has 3 panels, each of a different print and not necessarily of the same width (we've all seen them and probably worn them when we were kids). The second panel is gathered and sewn to the top panel, and the third panel is gathered and sewn to the middle panel. Long strips of fabric could be done and then cut as needed, to save time and effort.
And, of course more could be used, but I don't think it would be necessary.

I saved the picture with the idea of making some for my granddaughters. It immediately made me think of quilting!

Your project is special in all sorts of ways.

If anyone can tell me how to get a picture on here, please do!!!!

Sorry I am so inept.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
Originally Posted by quiltmom04
or put a simple checkerboard patchwork band around the bottom of the skirt. You could do the patchwork and then sew a wide piece of plain fabric and iron it to the back for the backing, with no batting. Then if you have a serger can serge the border to the rest of the skirt.

What a great idea also to serge the skirts together. Here I've been hand sewing the skirts together and that would save lots of edge triming and sewing time. Thanks so much.
A "cheater" cloth is fabric that is printed with a quilt pattern. I like to use them especially for smaller projects like this, because you get the look of a quilt without the bulk of so many seams. Most fabric stores have some, and online might be a good source.
Hi wordpaintervs, I was just thinking the same thing. I have two pieces of fabric with different quilting patterns (Log Cabin, and one that looks like it has been quilted). Hope you received the other fabric I sent you. I would be happy to send you some of these fabrics if you like. How much fabric is needed? PM me. Again GOD bless for doing this. BrendaK
Did you send that strip of patchwork? I was given some plain yellow that I thought I would use it on as a pretty border. I think it will be perfect. I'll PM you later. HUgs by the bucketful
Old 07-16-2011, 01:36 PM

Cheater cloth is fabric that looks like patchwork because it's printed that way.....not because it's actually pieced or appliqued. I have seen it often at Hancock's and JoAnn's, but not at my quilt shop.