Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab >

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Old 07-16-2011, 10:42 AM

Mary, good luck with the rehab. I, like you, hate to do binding. I can do the machine stitching on the one side but it takes me forever to do the hand stitching. I've tried machine stitching both sides but don't like the results. I have, however, found someone I can pay to do the binding. You might want to search for someone who would do that in order to finish some of your almost completed quilts. After they are completed, then you could decide what you wanted to do with them. As for as your overall quilting addiction, afraid that another addict can't offer a lot of help.

I too am trying to cut back on fabric purchases by deleting emails w/o reading. Fabric purchasing has been reduced but not totally eliminated.

Wish I could offer more help.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:43 AM

My thanks to all of you who provided such great support and suggestions. Some of the ideas had never even dawned on me! I knew this group could help. I'm deleting all of my links and opting out of all the ads/newsletters now. Most of that is done and I think that's enough for the day. Besides, I want to get some sewing time in so I can get this huge DWR quilt finished.

I have not decided what I want to do next......gid rid of stash or go thru the pile of quilts. Thanks to all who offered to help bind and donate. That is so darn wonderful.

Now I am off to finish deleting all this stuff off my computer. Then I'll get into my studio to sew and think about what I will accomplish tomorrow.

Thank you for the help quilters!

Mary
Old 07-16-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by ArizonaQuilts1
My thanks to all of you who provided such great support and suggestions. Some of the ideas had never even dawned on me! I knew this group could help. I'm deleting all of my links and opting out of all the ads/newsletters now. Most of that is done and I think that's enough for the day. Besides, I want to get some sewing time in so I can get this huge DWR quilt finished.

I have not decided what I want to do next......gid rid of stash or go thru the pile of quilts. Thanks to all who offered to help bind and donate. That is so darn wonderful.

Now I am off to finish deleting all this stuff off my computer. Then I'll get into my studio to sew and think about what I will accomplish tomorrow.

Thank you for the help quilters!

Mary
Mary....my DH and I will be in Chandler in Sept. for a missions conference. If you should happen to want to donate any of these unfinished quilts to charity, I would gladly make sure they make it to a Polish lady's home. I will also finish the binding (I do it all by machine for charity quilts.). I could handle up to about 5 or 6 as they would probably have to go in our luggage...

Not saying that you SHOULD give them away, but honestly, if they are a burden to you, I would gladly pass a few of them on to people who really could use them. :) It's better than just letting them sit in your house and make you feel guilty.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
Mary, I know some would think this funny [it's not drugs, alcohol etc], but I think you are wise to realize some behavior changes are in order. I am no expert, but I know you can't change everything at once. This is a long haul deal. If you had to answer in 15 seconds or less, what is the one thing you most want to change? Is it the finished projects just sitting? Could you pick one place you store them, then narrow that to a shelf or a specific number of items or something and sort through those with the goal of finding 10 items to donate? Is 10 too many? How about 5 or even 3?
If it is a finished item who would use it? Women? Children? Men? Elderly? Okay, now what organizations in your very immediate area reach out to that group? Would your husband or a friend or other family member be willing to take the items for delivery before you change your mind? [It might be a while before you can get to the point of taking something yourself]. Do a print out from the organization if they have a website with some pictures, if there are any, with the information of the mission of this organization. Keep focused on who you are helping, not on what you are giving up.
If it can't be finished items what about just a couple of quilts that need binding? Is there a guild, church or other public group that does charity quilts? Could you find at least 2 or 3 you could pass on to them? If not quilts what about a few bags of scraps?
I don't know if this is any help, but I know changing behavior must be done in small steps with little successes adding up. You can do this. You have recognized the need to change your behavior--that is the most important part! That is huge! I look forward to your future posts. This was very brave of you to start this thread.
This post is great! Thanks for writing it out.

I'd had quite a few UFOs due to so much being donated to me, but I've gotten it down to just a sailboat quilt and a basket quilt (the squares are done--donated to me) and I think one more that I cut out a couple of years ago. The rest of the tops are made. (I'm not worried about finishing up the rest of the way--I'm more worried about unfinished tops since I usually try to finish up the sandwiching and such in a group), but being overwhelmed by too many quilts cut out and started at once is not a nice feeling.

My current count of 3 or 4 projects is fine as it means I can work on what I'm in the mood for. Having 10-12 started or going at once is too much even for me... :) I'm almost caught up now. I've been working on scrappy things this year to try to get control of my sewing room again...and I've made several scrappy tops. Someday I'll get my kids to hold them and take pics.

But I did have a crisis earlier this year when I couldn't get into my sewing room. So, I folded my fabric, put my started projects in one spot and cut up most of my myriads of scraps/leftovers--fabric that was cut off the edges after binding, etc. I got rid of one piece of furniture which wasn't really fitting the need I had, and moved two big portable wardrobes in there and use them to put my totes of freshly folded fabric in.

I still have some of a mess (esp. compared to some who post here), but at least I don't feel overwhelmed anymore and
can get in my sewing room and sew and actually know where things are. I find the piles happen regularly though, so I have to keep cleaning it up!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:18 PM

Hello, Mary. My name is BarbaraSue and I'm a fabriholic.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:23 PM

Too much "stuff" makes me paralized. I understand your plight. Making mostly charityquilts now. Feels good to get some out of the house. Never any complaints about design or color choice. Try it. Have fun!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:34 PM

we can be roommates at rehab!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

mary, thanks for the thread. I don't have as much as you as I don't have the room. I also decided not to purchase any more fabric after really looking at what I already have (and getting the bills for my online shopping). Can't believe how fast it adds up. I don't mind binding at all. Wish I was closer to you so I could help. Your post may have sounded funny. But....it's not funny when what we have starts to cause us anxiety. Just think of all the people that will benefit from what you have. GOD bless you. Things will get better and you will feel so gooooood. Hugs BrendaK
Old 07-16-2011, 01:06 PM

I have recently started this rehab as well, there certianly comes a time. It is hard and i still struggle but am doing better. Stay strong......
Old 07-16-2011, 01:07 PM

I want to wish you all the best, Mary. I can't imagine having that much stuff in my home. I hope you find the strength to do what you need to do to make you life better. {{{Hugs}}}