Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question for you experts out there >

question for you experts out there

question for you experts out there

Old 07-16-2011, 02:02 PM

thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it

Is your avitar of a queensland heeler dog?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by wordpaintervs
Originally Posted by gbquilter
When I saw your dolls I thought: I like it that they don't have faces. Native Americans never put faces on the dolls they made (make) for their children. That way the child can use their imagineation to give the doll the personality they want. Nothing is worse than to see a doll with a smiling face when they are feeling sad or even angry. Please consider making some dolls without faces for these children. As for the skirts, you could just do a simple continual nine patch pattern.
Thats a fine idea. Do they have a special Native American organization for children with serious medical problems that need a doll? Could you give me an address, etc???
I will check into that for you. Off hand I don't know of any Native American Hospitals but I will research it and get back to you. Thank you for considering giving to them too.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:57 PM

When I saw your dolls I thought: I like it that they don't have faces. Native Americans never put faces on the dolls they made (make) for their children. That way the child can use their imagineation to give the doll the personality they want. Nothing is worse than to see a doll with a smiling face when they are feeling sad or even angry. Please consider making some dolls without faces for these children. As for the skirts, you could just do a simple continual nine patch pattern.
Thats a fine idea. Do they have a special Native American organization for children with serious medical problems that need a doll? Could you give me an address, etc???
I will check into that for you. Off hand I don't know of any Native American Hospitals but I will research it and get back to you. Thank you for considering giving to them too.
I love all children. Some of the dolls have a white body fabric. none have hair as most go to kids with cancer and the chemo makes them lose their hair, and a hat keeps their heads warm. I hav attached the two in one doll I just finished that MAY be going to St. Judd's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-227465.jpe
Views:	101
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	227471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-227466.jpe
Views:	101
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	227472  
Old 07-16-2011, 05:37 PM

The two-in-one doll is adorable. Someone will feel really special to receive it.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BrendaK
Originally Posted by quiltmom04
Originally Posted by Holice
I would use a patchwork printed cheater cloth.
or put a simple checkerboard patchwork band around the bottom of the skirt. You could do the patchwork and then sew a wide piece of plain fabric and iron it to the back for the backing, with no batting. Then if you have a serger can serge the border to the rest of the skirt.
never heard of a patchwork cheater sheet. Where would I find one.

What a great idea also to serge the skirts together. Here I've been hand sewing the skirts together and that would save lots of edge triming and sewing time. Thanks so much.
A "cheater" cloth is fabric that is printed with a quilt pattern. I like to use them especially for smaller projects like this, because you get the look of a quilt without the bulk of so many seams. Most fabric stores have some, and online might be a good source.
Hi wordpaintervs, I was just thinking the same thing. I have two pieces of fabric with different quilting patterns (Log Cabin, and one that looks like it has been quilted). Hope you received the other fabric I sent you. I would be happy to send you some of these fabrics if you like. How much fabric is needed? PM me. Again GOD bless for doing this. BrendaK
Did you send that strip of patchwork? I was given some plain yellow that I thought I would use it on as a pretty border. I think it will be perfect. I'll PM you later. HUgs by the bucketful
No Sorry I didn't. I answered your PM. BrendaK
Old 07-16-2011, 08:59 PM

Can't answer your question but was wondering.Are these dolls 2 way dolls? (like little red riding hood on the outside then you pull her skirt over her head and there is the big bad wolf) I have a friend that has made 2 way dolls for years and sold them at our local craft fair, She is the only one I know that still make these dolls.The way the skirts are standing out made me think this.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:00 PM

Exactly my initial thought too. What about a fairly plain skirt and a quilted apron? Good thinking - so much less math to do and a simple easy fix. Could also save you lots of money if you could get away with a white muslin or something like that or gingham which is also cheap and add a quilted apron...
Old 07-17-2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by nightquilter
Can't answer your question but was wondering.Are these dolls 2 way dolls? (like little red riding hood on the outside then you pull her skirt over her head and there is the big bad wolf) I have a friend that has made 2 way dolls for years and sold them at our local craft fair, She is the only one I know that still make these dolls.The way the skirts are standing out made me think this.
Years ago my grandmother made me a three in one Little Red Ridinghood (LRR). Grandma was under LRR 's skirt and the big bad wolf was under her hood. You simply turn the hood inside out to cover LRR's face. One of my favorite dolls!
Old 07-17-2011, 08:03 AM

they are ndeed two way dolls but larger then the red riding hood/ wolf which is adorable. I see them in annie's attic catalog now and then.

Other than white, I have lots of fabric right now, but thought how cute they would look if they wore a 'quilted' look or perhaps a prairie doll look. I'm sure some of these children who have serious illness have parents that quilt and would love the look.

Thanks all of you for your help.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:11 AM

Take a look at this quilt-look doll skirt pattern for free.
Here is the link. You can adjust the size to fit your dolls. Really neat site.

http://www.youcanmakethis.com/index....hing&pagenum=5