Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No >

Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No

Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No

Old 07-16-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I've posted this tip many times and it works. Take an inexpensive metal thimble and using a hammer whack the rim until it's an oval shape. The thimble will fit the finger so much better. Your finger is not round, it's oval.
Well, who knew.............. I've been struggling with a thimble I thought used to be my perfect one but now it keeps falling off. I've been struggling with hand sewing binding on the back of something so I did as suggested here. Took a hammer to it gently til I got an oval. Durn things stays on now. It won't stay on if I wear it oval but if I put it sideways it does. Thanks so much for smart people. LOL
Old 07-16-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by ibeesewin
Looked at Hobby & Jo-Ann's for the finger cots that Sharon Schamber uses in her binding video. No luck at either store. Jo-Ann's has them available on line...however, I don't need to order anything else. Called my LQS and they don't have them either. So...stopped at Wallgreen't and purchased the finger cots in the band-aid section. They work perfectly.

Also..is using a thimble kind of like an acquired taste? I have purchased 3 thimbles and end up removing them because I just can't sew with one. One that I purchased today falls off so what use is that? Any suggestion on thimbles...my finger is getting sore and I only have one side of the quilt stitched. I didn't want to machine stitch this one because I wanted to try the ladder stitch.
I've tried several thimbles myself and finally found one that fits. Occasionally it seems loose, so I just lick the end of my finger and put it back on; it seems that a suction is established. Now, for your sore finger...I've found that several coats of New Skin or some other liquid bandage product, applied to tender fingertips does a better job of protecting my fingers than any other product that I've tried. And believe me, I've tried them all. Hope that this helps.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:31 PM

My finger were always too big & it is clumsby with a timble.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:38 PM

I buy the latex medical gloves at Costco and cut off the fingers to use as finger cots. I can't hand sew without them. I started doing this when I worked at a nursing home.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:56 PM

To get my thimble to stay on my finger, I use a band aid(the spongy type) on my finger before I put on the thimble. The bandage grips the thimble and keeps it in place.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:24 PM

Have used but normally don't, then I wonder why the skin on finger peels, then I remember why :), but it's a grip and pull not push, just different ways to hand sew. Happy Sewing All !!
Old 07-17-2011, 04:16 AM

I bought lots of styles of thimbles...nothing worked for me until I found these.
http://www.amazon.com/Colonial-leath.../dp/B001J5JN7G
they seem on the expensive side until you use them....you will love them!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:54 AM

I have a leather thimble that I LOVE. it slips over the entire finger past the second knuckle. Not hot, easy to use and comfortable. I don't remember where I got it but I'm sure if you looks around you can find one.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching
I bought lots of styles of thimbles...nothing worked for me until I found these.
http://www.amazon.com/Colonial-leath.../dp/B001J5JN7G
they seem on the expensive side until you use them....you will love them!
I used to use these, but then I tried the Ultra Thimbles and fell in love.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 AM

Personally I don't like using a thimble, and have tried many different kinds. The one that I found is actually a leather one that stays on your finger with elastic. The leather is really soft and after using it for a bit, it conforms to your finger and I don't even realize I am wearing it. When I bought a new one at hancocks, I left it on for about three hours while I did my normal daily stuff, so when I was finally able to sit and sew for a bit, it was already nearly broke in. Wouldn't trade it for any other type of thimble.