Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Felt Very Judged:  Quilt tops vs Finished quilts >

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

Old 07-16-2011, 05:22 PM

As long as you enjoy making the tops, continue to do so. Someday, you'll have the time to maybe quilt them, maybe some day you'll have a long arm, you may some day send them off to be quilted one at a time, but please don't let someone else rain on your parade. There are probably many more on board who really prefer just making the tops, it doesn't make you any less a quilter in my opinion. Please keep making yourself happy by doing what you like best.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Lots of quilters enjoy the piecing more than the quilting. GOOD FOR YOU that you don't shove them in a corner as a UFO and instead display them!!
I agree with this one all the way! At least you are displaying them!
Smile when you see them at the good job you've done..

I like pie but I can't make crust. I have a friend that can whip it out like no tomorrow..but that doesn't make me not eat pie just because I can't make a good crust. I buy mine already done in the grocery.. takes just as good. =) One day I will learn but for now I'm good with the way things are. Think of it like that...one day life as you know it will calm down for you and look at how far ahead of the game you will be. =)
Old 07-16-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by sassey
I probably would of said oh my someone's bad manners are showing or perhaps you are having a bad day and just need a hug I am sure her jaw would of dropped
Have to remember that.

Maybe she was just surprised by a new-to-her idea and tonight she's rethinking her approach to quilting.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:36 PM

You are not the only one for sure. I have an awful lot of clients whom I quilt and bind for because they only like to piece. I'm glad you display and enjoy your quilt tops.....I have one client who has the trunk of her car full!!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:37 PM

Although I've only been quilting a short time, I've been into other crafts for years and years, especially knitting. But I'm terrible at finishing my knitting projects, and only slightly better at finishing quilts. For a long time, I struggled with an awful sense of shame about this--not because of anybody else's reaction, but due an internal criticism of myself. After all, isn't the inability to finish things you start supposed to be a bad thing? But lately, I've changed my attitude toward my hobbies: they are activities I do for MYSELF, and they serve a purpose that (to me) is greater than that of a finished homemade pot-holder or cable-knit sweater. It's really great to see so many other crafters feel the same.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
Why do people think they know it all or have to make judgements on other people's work, especially without being invited to. You said this is your creative outlet, and it gives you pleasure. Good for you. Life is too short to worry about what other people think. Carry on!!!!!!
I couldn't agree more :thumbup: And you're enjoying them. Isn't that what our passion is all about??? :)
Old 07-16-2011, 05:59 PM

Well she might have finished quilts, but you have something she doesn't---GOOD MANNERS!!!! :-)
Old 07-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

Why even worry about the opinion of a stranger who shopped at your garage sale? Or her rudeness? Just be glad she's gone so you can continue doing what you love!
Old 07-16-2011, 06:05 PM

I have quilts hanging on every wall, surface and rack I can find, and there are as many tops as there are finished quilts! In fact, several are on canvas stretcher frames DH made for them, which makes them fine art, don't you think? Enjoy your creativity and ignore the critics out there. We need "toppers" and "finishers" !
Old 07-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

If you like your quilts dont worrry what others might think.