Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab >

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Old 07-16-2011, 01:10 PM

It sounds like you are not doing so well. I hope and pray that things will get better. You definitely do need people to help you get things together. You would be surprised at how kind and helpful people can be. Just be brave and ask for help. People will understand and help you, and it will get better. Cut up those credit cards asap. Just keep one that you can manage to pay off every single month. It is a good feeling to not be in debt from buying things we think we need. God bless and stay strong.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:18 PM

Gee, we all had one of those days...I decided enough and get in that rm and reorganize again...I recently got rid of my pile of quilts via a SIL to distribute amoung all her grandchildren and other family members...that felt good to get rid of piles...You know your running out of rm when you extend your sewing rm into the gst bthrm...yes bthrm...I did organize but asked my husband for help and not allow another Joann's Sale flyer into the hse...He should throw it away before I see it...And not let me purchase another piece of fabric until most of what I have is used up...
We all need help so ask, don't be afraid to get assistance...We can do it...I'm with you....
Old 07-16-2011, 01:44 PM

You can also donate some of the fabric you no longer like to a highschool...where the kids are learning to sew.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:18 PM

My scrap bin was overflowing so I cut up the small pieces into 3 inch squares and shipped them to DD. She never did anything with them and now that I've fallen on spare times, she let me have them back!

And I pieced and tied a bunch of charity quilts, 40 to be exact. And I sold on ebay. Now that there is not so much clutter, I've made a list of 10 quilts to piece, all classic patterns. Making progress with drafting, piecing, and organizing my small stash for each one.

Start your program by counting those blessings. Then bless someone else. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:18 PM

Is Rehab covered under Medicare?????
Old 07-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Power Poster

There was a post not long ago about a group of retired disabled vets wanting to learn how to quilt. I have the name of one of the ladies. She said anything that we could send her would be put to good use. There are a lot of places that would take donations. I am sure that this would help you feel better. A win win thing. PM me if you are interested. Hugs. BrendaK
Old 07-16-2011, 09:35 PM

I myself made the decision to work on my UFOs this year. I'm not buying fabric. I perfectly understand your position. I'm more addicted to buy fabric than to sew fabric and that's the truth.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:51 AM

Well, my heart goes out to you. it was 6:30 in the morning and I was surfing fabric on line. That is insane. Here's what I did to channel some of my addiction. I am giving lessons to a little girl once a week and I may pick up a couple more b/c it is fun to see them excited. I let her borrow a sewing machine, mat, cutter, ruler to get her started until she can get her own. Her mom said she cried last week when I had to cancel. Glad to see the machine in use and not just collecting dust. Just a thought.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:51 AM
Power Poster

My little sister started quilting when her BIL died suddenly of a heart attack. Her MIL was very much not dealing with things so my sister got her started quilting - together, they made quilts for each of her MILs sisters and brothers. The family was so big, they bought a quilter. Then they made some quilts for our family (me included) Then they made baby quilts and donated them. It brought her out of her grief eventually. My sister has been raising her grandson - she found she had no real support. Now they give the quilts to people who are raising children who aren't their own - I asked how she finds them - she said they seem to find her. At one point they were making and donating a quilt every week. People give them material all the time. She said it is the batting and the backing she has trouble getting cheap enough to continue. Her MIL is aging and not as able to do so much these days.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:52 AM
j

I have never been given a homemade gift---hint hint. - - rightnow I am behind on my quilting because of a vacation _Isn't that a shame? Is that how it all starts?-Joan