Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Felt Very Judged:  Quilt tops vs Finished quilts >

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

Old 07-17-2011, 03:13 AM
Swap Hosts

Yes, to each his own, as you said. The woman who passed judgement on you was horribly rude. You do what you like doing, and that's that. If she doesn't like it, too bad. She doesn't live with you, doesn't have to look at your beautiful tops. So ... go away old witch.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:17 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if you and your family are happy with the quilt tops ENJOY THEM! do the part of art work YOU enjoy - do NOT let others judge you.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:20 AM

Hang it without quilting! That's revolutionary! lol
I wish I had thought of that! One of my favorite tops, the only one I haven't quilted, is nicely folded waiting for me to become not so scared to machine quilt it.

I bet if I just draped it over the top of my couch no one would ever know...

As far as judgemental people, well, we all are to a point, even if it's only in our minds. Don't let it ruin your quilting life or make you feel you can't enjoy your works of art less than you do.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:20 AM

One thing you remarked on is something I disagree with.I never,ever show disdain for any quilt,be it partly done,finished or never done.
None of us knows the quilters story & why should we care.That quilter started a quilt just like we all do & for some reason, it's not done? Why would that be my business?
I call myself a quilt top maker.Those going to be given away are done by a LA quilter.Those staying home will get done when it happens :) DH prefers sleeping under a comforter,so no rush.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:27 AM
elm

Quilting is one of the fiber arts. So, you are displaying your art work. I think that's great!
Old 07-17-2011, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzz

I put what I could part with out at a recent garage sale. This one quilter came up and we started chatting. When I mentioned my quilt tops that were hanging, she looked at me with outright disdain and I knew whe was trying to invision the unfinished edges she asked about.
Could it be possible that you found that rare quilter with no UFOs!! This should be documented. :wink:

And you keep up the good work. I have piles of quilt tops needing quilting. I hand quilt and often inspiration leaves me after I get all excited about making the top. They are all put away and I'm slowly getting them done. Very slowly. You have inspired me to just put them up and decorate my walls with them. Let's see do I have enough wall space? :shock:

Here's me smiling and waving at you. Carry On.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:54 AM

Consider a business loan for a computerized longarm machine. You sound very artistic. You can design your own patterns and stitch them out. I have a Gammill with Statler Stitcher and Auto Sketch. I have so much fun and have paid for the machine plus. You'll be VERY busy if you keep the price reasonable and you'll have a creative outlet that means so much to so many.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

It will be OK. What other people think of you is not your business. Hold your head up and keep enjoying your quilt tops!!! God bless you.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:41 AM

my passion is in the creation of the top, not finishing the quilt. the choosing of colors and patterns and pulling it all together. I have a closet full of quilt tops, as soon as I get a top done, I'm ready to move on to the next creation. One of these days, they will get finished, maybe. you don't need to feel guilty because one woman thinks you should finish them, they are your quilt tops not hers. enjoy the part you enjoy and don't let anyone make you feel guilty
Old 07-17-2011, 04:42 AM

So what you don't have backing and binding on them!!! Display them and feel good about it. You have sewn them with love, diligence, and creativity. I always have struggles with getting the binding done (until I read a wonderful tute about faux binding) and projects sat around for a long time! Maybe someday you'll have the time and energy to tackle the back and binding, but it seems that the time is not now. Maybe never. Maybe.....sometime in the future, one of your descendants will inherit your tops and say how beautiful they are and they will be someone who loves to do backing and binding! You will have passed on treasures!

How about posting some pictures? :thumbup: