Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab >

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Old 07-17-2011, 02:52 AM
j

I have never been given a homemade gift---hint hint. - - rightnow I am behind on my quilting because of a vacation _Isn't that a shame? Is that how it all starts?-Joan
Old 07-17-2011, 03:08 AM

I am so glad that I am not the only person, but I go a little bit beyond that I also knit and crochet and do cross stitch, embroidery, tat, so guess what!!! I hit all the stores and not only that I even hit garage and estate sales for fabric, yarn, embroidery floss, crochet cotton, plastic canvas and what ever else I can get my hands on and even more I do some wood working you think you have the bug well... HELLO!!! I have really lost it, I have plastic totes every where, just have a path through the whole house to walk through... I finally made up my mind to use up what I have its hard but working on it.. don't sell my items but should I guess, always gave them as gifts, sweater jackets, socks, quilts, afaghans, mittens, scarfs, etc, etc, etc.... LOL oh well at least I am happy crafting.. :)
Old 07-17-2011, 03:25 AM

i would take one at a time, and finish it.do not touch anything else , till u do that. then get another, finish it..good luck.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:28 AM

Heavens...... Quilters this addiction is spreading around the world I am in Australia and trust me it is here , I have an acute case " I will never sew all that fabric" , my kids just shake their heads and say "one day there is going to be one heck of a sale on Ebay...it will go into melt down " and I promise myself no more fabric ,patterns,notions,threads,..............Heavens it couldnt be me that is flying all the way across Australia to go to another quilt fair . Cathy
Old 07-17-2011, 03:36 AM

I do my binding on the sewing machine. I know it is not a popular method, but it gets the job done and I can move on to the next project. I figure I piece on the machine, quilt on the machine, so why not bind on the machine.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:49 AM

Hi, I just wanted to say I support you because I know that when a love becomes an addiction we begin to feed the addiction but not find the joy that was part of the initial love.
Its so overwhelming, isn't it? And realizing a change must happen is also overwhelming, I think.
A book that has helped me "rope things in, a little at a time" is Sink Reflections--I am sure you can find it at the library. I have never gotten through the whole house or been able to follow her "plan" but she has some little fixes you can do everyday (maybe 15 or 20 minutes)without making all the "big decisions". Slowly you will see the results you are looking for without the heartbreak. Good luck. Keep us in the loop.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:53 AM

Your post was a reality check for me. I haven't been quilting very long (a couple of years maybe) but I see myself going down a similar road. When I started quilting, I made myself a promise to finish any quilt I start before starting another. I have actually managed to keep to that, but I now seem to find reasons to go to fabric stores (both at home and online) when I don't really have a need for any new fabric. My husband invited me to go out with him today and said we could stop at a fabric store (he's learned I find it hard to say no to that), but after reading your post, I declined the offer. It's kind of pathetic to pat myself on the back for that, but it's a first step on the road to not being a fabric junkie! Thanks for the 'wake up'!
Old 07-17-2011, 04:06 AM

Mary,
Your sound overwhelmed and discouraged, which just drains energy away. Are you at the stage where you are able to to give things or do you still need it? If you feel like you can donate it, you might consider making "beginner quilter/sewer baskets which could be used in variety of places (battered women's shelter, etc). Definitely a pay if forward opportunity. I would also be more than willing to help you with the bindings. Your quilts need to be finished so they can go out into the world and comfort people. If you are interested in my helping you finish your quilts, send me a PM and we can figure it out. It is good you know when enough is enough...the time for action is now. Patt
Old 07-17-2011, 04:09 AM

I can relate to what you are saying. I USED to be just like you, but not anymore! MY minister tells us that anything that controls you is a sin. So, with the help of God, I went cold turkey. I now see that less is more. I have well over 40 huge plastic totes stuffed in a tiny space. Fabric is everywhere....my bookcases, dressers, armoires, desks, closets, you name it. Notions are just as bad. I have more than I will ever use. I am sorting it and donating a lot. I work in fabric most every day and I am not tempted. I think of all the "stuff" I have and how my children will have to deal with it when I am gone. It overwhelms me. I will pray for you Mary. There is hope....lol.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:02 AM

I like to bind quilts and I like AZ in the winter. Sooooo, Maybe I could come stay with you for the winter and bind many of your quilts, lol!
300-400 quilt projects!!! I think that means you really enjoy and are passionate about quilting.