Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab >

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Old 07-17-2011, 05:04 AM

Wow--I started this wonderful hobby 2 years ago and all I can think of is winning the lottery and enlarging my sewing room and just sew, sew, sew. My colledtion of fabric is not as big as yours, I would go crazy if I could play in it. I'm trying to make a Medallion Quilt by Edyta Sitar and not using the same two fabrics. If you could part of some shades of brown and beigt in a 4in square, I would gladly pay the postage. I saw one made at a retreat last year a lady made and I fell in love with in.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:06 AM

Jacquie in OK,

Every once in a while someone will pop onto this website who really enjoys quilting, crafting, etc. but due to circumstances cannot get the fabrics or other stuff to really fully enjoy the art. Maybe you or the author of this original post or any others might consider a kind donation to a fellow quilter who would love to continue to quilt but who cannot due to economic circumstances. Being in this situation is disheartening and when family members don't understand and secretly go thru your quilting things and chuck everything out you miss what is gone. Sometimes it is the kindness of others that counts and makes the most difference.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:08 AM

if you find the place for recovery - you will have to let us all know. I started tracking what I buy vs what I use and it's a little scary, since Jan 1 of this year I have purchased 447 yd of fabric and only used 272. could open my own fabric store with my stash - one of my downfalls was the local Hancock's unadvertised $1.00 yd sale, just happened to go in the store and walked out with 150 yds of fabric - all good quality quilting fabric that is discontinued. I was in stashaholic heaven. (i went back 3 times - they kept putting more out) HELP ME
Old 07-17-2011, 05:10 AM

Too bad you live so far away, I love to do binding. I could help with that then you could donate them to worthy causes.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:16 AM

Mary,
I do not have near that much but I had to put a halt to what I was buying about 8 months ago... other than buying backing/binding for a project & that usually came from my Walmart that still had fabric I hadn't been to a quilt shop since then & only ordered online once for curtain material...it has been hard but I am working out of my stash, finishing quilts (I hate to quilt them!!) and trying to work that way... it has been very hard not to fondle fabric at a store but it had to be done... you can do it.. you have gotten lots of helpful hints here so just take one area at a time, work that, then go to the next.. or if you have quilting friends maybe they can come in & help you with organizing & selling/donating items... hang tough girl you know that you can do it......I did break down yesterday and went to new Joanns, but I needed material to make my Mom's Christmas present so that was all I got but I did get to fondle the other material!!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:19 AM

welcome to my world..........mine isn't always because I want to buy fabric, someone wants me to make a purse or something...then there is the fabric that yells " Please take me home with you"
But I figure if it make me happy why not, I ask no one to clean behind me, or pick up the scraps......it mine so I go upstairs and close the door. And if you wonder into my basement,read the warning sign on door. ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK
Old 07-17-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by charlotte625
welcome to my world..........mine isn't always because I want to buy fabric, someone wants me to make a purse or something...then there is the fabric that yells " Please take me home with you"
But I figure if it make me happy why not, I ask no one to clean behind me, or pick up the scraps......it mine so I go upstairs and close the door. And if you wonder into my basement,read the warning sign on door. ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK
AMEN to that!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:38 AM

Maybe keep the quilts that are special........start giving them away as Christmas gifts.Put the ones that you can part with up for sale,I have given friends fat quarters and fabric as gifts(those who quilt) Donate for Cancer raffles,Church raffles.Ask at your local quilt store if they know of anyone who sews or quilts who they know that might not be able to afford much fabric............what a surprise to find a basket of fabric on you front steps. Give baby quilts to your local hospital for low income mothers for their babies........Hope this helps
Huggs Judy
Old 07-17-2011, 05:40 AM

Send me your unbound quilts...............................
Old 07-17-2011, 05:43 AM

Hello. My name is Karen and I'm an addict. Hello, Karen....