Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bridal & Baby shower gifts >

Bridal & Baby shower gifts

Bridal & Baby shower gifts

Old 07-17-2011, 07:18 AM

I've never hear of that. I wouldn't go. You should send that suggestion into Dear Abby - I'd like to hear what she has to say about it. Unbelielvable.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:23 AM

I just went to two baby showers and they just said where they were registered. I think its pretty tacky, how will you know what they got with your money. Maybe this saves them sending out thank-you notes. I do recall a wedding where they wanted money but they said it was to remodel a bathroom in there home, I thought that was fine.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:33 AM

I think it is extremely tacky to invite you to a party and tell you what to give as a gift. I think gift registries are tacky also so I guess I am the wrong person to give an opinion on this. I NEVER give a gift I am supposed to give I give what I would have liked to recieve, something from my heart!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:35 AM

My sisters and I had a shower for our nephew and his bride-to-be. One of mys sisters always insists on a theme for the shower, baby or bridal. This time we took the couple's name, and assigned every guest a letter in their names. Say " Jack and Paula." You got the letter J to find a gift that starts with that. Juicer, jam & jellies, etc. One girl got the letter 'N' and gave the bride at gift card to Victoria's Secret with a note;"you decided if your gift is Naughty or Nice!" It was fun for everyone to see what gifts they came up. Our couple has the letter O in their names and I had it. Oregano, O's cereal, olive oil, olives, t-towel and dish cloth that said Organic Olive Oil on them! They were registered and some gifts came from the registry. But most people got real creative with! It was fun..
Old 07-17-2011, 07:37 AM

Just FYI about graduation "invitations", the cards you receive are actually graduation "announcements" not necessarily invitations to the actual graduation as a lot of graduations now days have limited seating and you need a ticket to get into the graduation. The "announcements" are just to let people know of an accomplishment ... not necessarily a bid for money. I viewed my childrens' announcements as letting relatives know what's going on with my kids and they are not expected to do anything about it. I always send them a picture as well with a note as to what is happening with my child at the time. I get those from my cousins etc., and love hearing from them even if I haven't seen them for many years. Additionally, my kids ALWAYS write thank you notes! And, they are both boys!!! Sorry about my vent, but I know my aunt was rude to my sister about receiving a graduation announcement and was told she hadn't seen her daughter in years and wasn't giving her anything .... that aunt no longer gets updates .... she apparently does not care (she lives half way across the country). I have received those invitations for GCs only and still made things. It is MY gift to give! Good luck.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:40 AM

I'm with clynns. Throw the invite in the trash and go about your business.

Lynn
Old 07-17-2011, 07:47 AM

I have never heard of this before! I'd pass.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:34 AM

I probably wouldn't go, or send a gift, just a congrats card & say you had other plans, if anyone dares ask. I really hate it when someone tries to tell you what to buy them, gift cards or whatever....
Old 07-17-2011, 08:34 AM

Seems tacky and nervy to me too. My solution would be simple. Send a card of congratulations...period. No money, no gift card, no check.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:36 AM

I agree with you but most people still see them as a call for gifts. Kind of sad.
Originally Posted by Karen K
Just FYI about graduation "invitations", the cards you receive are actually graduation "announcements" not necessarily invitations to the actual graduation as a lot of graduations now days have limited seating and you need a ticket to get into the graduation. The "announcements" are just to let people know of an accomplishment ... not necessarily a bid for money. I viewed my childrens' announcements as letting relatives know what's going on with my kids and they are not expected to do anything about it. I always send them a picture as well with a note as to what is happening with my child at the time. I get those from my cousins etc., and love hearing from them even if I haven't seen them for many years. Additionally, my kids ALWAYS write thank you notes! And, they are both boys!!! Sorry about my vent, but I know my aunt was rude to my sister about receiving a graduation announcement and was told she hadn't seen her daughter in years and wasn't giving her anything .... that aunt no longer gets updates .... she apparently does not care (she lives half way across the country). I have received those invitations for GCs only and still made things. It is MY gift to give! Good luck.