Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bridal & Baby shower gifts >

Bridal & Baby shower gifts

Bridal & Baby shower gifts

Old 07-17-2011, 10:47 AM

I went to a baby shower last Sunday afternoon. The time was 2 to 4. She opened your gifts as you came in and stacked them up in a pile. She also asked for diapers (pampers) from each invitee, and your name was put in for a doorprize. Had great food. Talked to a few people and then went home.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:53 AM

The last wedding I attended, I gave the couple a gift card only because they both knew I had been very ill and was still recovering and did not have the energy to go shopping. Otherwise I would have bought a gift. If you do not know the couple well, say you are sorry, but other plans prevent you from attending the shower. No attendence, no gift, no guilt.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:00 PM

I think it's extremely rude to ask specifically for anything. You are being invited to a shower and it's up to you what you give. It is also rude to have the guest address their own thank you card envelope at the shower. These people need to remember that you are a GUEST at the shower. If I can spend the time and the money to buy or hand make something for the bride or mother to be, she can find my address and send me the card.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:12 PM

I think it is tacky there are to many invitations anymore only looking for gifts or money I have gotten invitations did not even know who they were from then talking to my sister-in-law found out it was some distant relative it did go in the garbage so many people you never hear from until they want something I ignore them unles someone I really know
Old 07-17-2011, 12:35 PM

I would just make a 'gift card' of my own stating what the gift is. (a free night babysitting, a baby quilt for the first child, a quilting lesson, etc.) No one can say you have to 'buy' the gift card. IMHO.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:02 PM

if you hardly know the family, why are you being invited? why are you thinking of going? send a congratulatory card and wish them happiness.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by RobertaMarie
Why not send a "gift card" from you, for a personal gift of a quilt or whatever you want to make for her. She can redeem it (or not).... I think gifts are just that~~ Gifts. The other is like asking for a "free will donation" of a specific amount. Sort of tacky in my opinion. I may be old and grouchy about this, but at my age, I do not allow others to dictate to me what I can give (or not)... Let your inner voice be your guide. Be happy. :)
Oh, I LOVE that idea for any occasion! Sometimes I think homemade gifts arent well recieved because the recipient doesnt care for the colors (not their favs, or doesnt go w/ their decor), or the design. But, if they can pick what they would like made, esp at a later date when they can digest the meaning of homemade (hand made, crafted, disigned, created especially for -) they understand how much the giver really cares about them. And, even more, maybe a card that says at a later date they can turn the card in for free quilting lessons! sharet
Old 07-17-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by laceybritt
I know times are changing BUT I have received an invitation to a bridal shower that states gift cards only and from 1 to 3. The same with a baby shower invitation. IMO this is extremely tacky and makes me feel like I should just drop off the gift card and leave. I barely know the parents of the couples! I was told this is how they are 'throwing' the showers now. Is this going on in your town also?????? Am I just being too old fashioned to think the choice of gift is mine to make??? I can understand a theme or 'we are registered at' but just all gift cards only?????
I haven't received any yet here where I live - most are registered some place. Where is the excitement of opening up that shower gift? I guess if someone gave $$$$ money then they might get excited. I personally don't like it. I think it is presumptious of someone to ask for "money".
Old 07-17-2011, 02:18 PM

I was invited to one like that for a co worker. I was kind of shocked, but chalked it to the fact they were young and probably didn't know any better. But now I see it may be a growing trend. Not sure I like it!
Old 07-17-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by laceybritt
I know times are changing BUT I have received an invitation to a bridal shower that states gift cards only and from 1 to 3. The same with a baby shower invitation. IMO this is extremely tacky and makes me feel like I should just drop off the gift card and leave. I barely know the parents of the couples! I was told this is how they are 'throwing' the showers now. Is this going on in your town also?????? Am I just being too old fashioned to think the choice of gift is mine to make??? I can understand a theme or 'we are registered at' but just all gift cards only?????
Actually, I don't see much difference in that and being registered.