Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-17-2011, 01:42 PM

I posted part of this to Treadle On earlier today, so you may have seen it if you're a member there too. But I thought I'd ask you guys a few things as well

I picked up a Singer 66 in a table, today. Cosmetically, it ain't the greatest (either machine or table), but mechanically, wow. Quiet, smooth, perfect stitches...the whole nine yards.

This has a back-clamping foot. Where can I find a side-clamping presser bar to replace it with? I saw the directions on the TO website, and it looks like something I can manage, so I'd like to swap them out so I can use the feet I've already got.

This one also appears to have a brake. Is the treadle belt threaded any differently? I thought I remembered seeing something about keeping the end snip of your belt to use in it, but of course, now I can't find the article. I'm working on a manual, but haven't found one yet.

Cabinet: I've since put the lock/drawer separators back on. The right side has been wet at some point (you can see the ripple in the wood) and the veneer is completely gone. It's either been oiled to match, or so long ago the wood has darkened on its own.

There was a beat up box of stuff in one of the drawers, including some funky feet.

Is this the brake? Also, what's the little flange thing on the drive wheel on the right, just above the brake?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227887[/ATTACH]

What am I? (Some sort of cording foot is my guess.)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227890[/ATTACH]

And what the heck am I?? The back arm on the left--with the numbers--swings way out, to almost a 90 degree angle to the other arm. Underneath the black arm on the end is a curl that looks like you're maybe supposed to feed something through there. Got me-this is the one I'd never seen before.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227891[/ATTACH]

After a preliminary round of cleaning.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227892[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-227881.jpe
Views:	114
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	227887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-227884.jpe
Views:	124
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	227890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-227885.jpe
Views:	91
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	227891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-227886.jpe
Views:	107
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	227892  
Old 07-17-2011, 01:42 PM

I use plain vegetable oil and a soft cloth to get sticky stuff off. works great and it's always in the cupboard.

good Luck

Suzy
Old 07-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sew wishful
I just acquired a beautiful 401A at an estate auction yesterday! I haven't had a change to play yet, but DH is growling. Since this is not a machine on my wishlist, I may have to sell her. :0( I'll let you know if she goes on the auction block.
Once you play with her she will be on your wish list...
Old 07-17-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats
I posted part of this to Treadle On earlier today, so you may have seen it if you're a member there too. But I thought I'd ask you guys a few things as well

I picked up a Singer 66 in a table, today. Cosmetically, it ain't the greatest (either machine or table), but mechanically, wow. Quiet, smooth, perfect stitches...the whole nine yards.

This has a back-clamping foot. Where can I find a side-clamping presser bar to replace it with? I saw the directions on the TO website, and it looks like something I can manage, so I'd like to swap them out so I can use the feet I've already got.

This one also appears to have a brake. Is the treadle belt threaded any differently? I thought I remembered seeing something about keeping the end snip of your belt to use in it, but of course, now I can't find the article. I'm working on a manual, but haven't found one yet.

Cabinet: I've since put the lock/drawer separators back on. The right side has been wet at some point (you can see the ripple in the wood) and the veneer is completely gone. It's either been oiled to match, or so long ago the wood has darkened on its own.

There was a beat up box of stuff in one of the drawers, including some funky feet.

Foot #1 is a binding foot. Foot #2 is an adjustable hemmer. Both are WONDERFUL tools after you get some practice with them! :) Both, of course, are low shank side clamps.

I think your machine and cabinet are going to be wonderful when you get them as pretty as you can!! I love my 66!! (The backclamping treadle is the 66-1, the backclamping handcrank is the 66-3)
Old 07-17-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
Can anyone tell me how old this machine is?
I have it's cousin - it's a Commander by Sears. Works good. I thought it was from the 1940's but I think mine is really from the 1950s.
Is there somewhere to find out the year like you can with Singer?
Does it have a serial number? Have you tried a Google search with the name and number? Just an idea...
Old 07-17-2011, 03:19 PM

What weekend. Last week on CL I find an add, I have 5 FW for sale $225 each or $1000.00 if you take all 5. I call him he said DW collected them and she past last January. I tell him I am interested it is about 100 miles and I can not come until Saturday. I call him Friday night got address tell him I will be there after lunch. Saturday morning I am on my get about a mile from his address and my phone rings. It is the FW guy says someone want to look at one of them and bought all five. I was not a happy camper but what can you do. I found out a long time ago that it does no good to get mad. DW and I go on with our day. Sunday DW and I go to an estate sale and a yard sale or two and at this one sale I spot it. That little black case. I act dumb easy for me as I look into the case oh a sewing machine. How much do you want for it? She says I don't know what it is worth. DW says well was you thinking $25 or $30 she yes that would be great. I bought some other things there so I would feel better.

AE980628 Aloted May 24 1938
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227941[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-227935.jpe
Views:	111
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	227941  
Old 07-17-2011, 04:21 PM

Have you seen these?
How to make a treadle belt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dax5t...eature=related

Singer Featherweight 221 Case Repair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nyc7...eature=related
Old 07-17-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
What weekend. Last week on CL I find an add, I have 5 FW for sale $225 each or $1000.00 if you take all 5. I call him he said DW collected them and she past last January. I tell him I am interested it is about 100 miles and I can not come until Saturday. I call him Friday night got address tell him I will be there after lunch. Saturday morning I am on my get about a mile from his address and my phone rings. It is the FW guy says someone want to look at one of them and bought all five. I was not a happy camper but what can you do. I found out a long time ago that it does no good to get mad. DW and I go on with our day. Sunday DW and I go to an estate sale and a yard sale or two and at this one sale I spot it. That little black case. I act dumb easy for me as I look into the case oh a sewing machine. How much do you want for it? She says I don't know what it is worth. DW says well was you thinking $25 or $30 she yes that would be great. I bought some other things there so I would feel better.
Gary, like you say, it does you no good to get mad. and you probably got the better deal right there. She is gorgeous and a sweet price at that.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
Have you seen these?
How to make a treadle belt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dax5t...eature=related
Thanks Phyllis.
I need some kind of real thin belt to go in the 401G's treadle groove or else I have to grind it. However, since I talked to Mr. Arbuckle (he's in his 90's) up in Noblesville, IN at Railroad Place about turning it into a treadle I'm doing more thinking. He seemed to think he could put a treadle balance wheel on there for me. I'm thinking real hard about doing that because the weight might make it balance a bit better. Mr. Arbuckle is quite the character. I wish you all could go and visit his shop. It would be well worth the drive. He has every kind of eye candy you can imagine. He does sort of have a web page. http://www.arbuckles-rrp.com

Right now I'm having trouble keeping the needle bar in it's bracket. I'm considering sand paper to rough up the spot a bit - It likes to slide down and go out of timing. gggrrrrr. I traded out a bunch of rust damaged parts last night - I have a donor Singer 500 - she gave up her cam stack and her needle holder and foot screw and some thread guides - that 401G is looking a bit better. Her paint is still pretty rough - Oh well it's what's inside and that it sews that counts I guess.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by SnowQuilt

lol To late it already is. I have another green one like it only it is a 319W 1956. I have about 8 other antiques, mostly Singers.

:roll: :)
:shock: :shock: This is my summer of "machine addiction". I bought my first vintage machine last year, and this year so far I have gotten 5 more! I REALLY have to stop now!! :-)

I have 10 antique's. I started collecting about 7 years ago. Every year I get a new one, this year it was 2. I have been trying to stop but I just can't help myself.
:roll: :)