Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bridal & Baby shower gifts >

Bridal & Baby shower gifts

Bridal & Baby shower gifts

Old 07-17-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I was taught a gift is what the giver selects.. I find it outragious to dicate what the giver should be expected to give. It is dangerously close to asking for $$ at the door.
Often get inviations, that I classify as "fund raiser invitation" ,I decline those that fall in that category.
I am sure Miss Manners would and has had a thing or two to say about it.
One of the things I always loved about my Mom"s cupboard where she keeps the "good stuff" is that when she decided to use a piece or simply clean the contents , she can still tell me who gave her what piece as a wedding gift.
A "fund raiser" invitation?????? Personal invites to something like a church or club fundraiser?
Old 07-17-2011, 03:00 PM

You are right. Too bad that way, huh. I understand people being offended by gift card requests, but sometimes it is just more practical for people to receive ... it doesn't mean you have to. My boys went to college across country and there is no way they could get all their gifts to school.... we didn't ask for gc, but it would have been nice for them to be able to buy the things they needed when they got to school rather than me having to take them back for cash or paying to send them back to them.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by laceybritt
I know times are changing BUT I have received an invitation to a bridal shower that states gift cards only and from 1 to 3. The same with a baby shower invitation. IMO this is extremely tacky and makes me feel like I should just drop off the gift card and leave. I barely know the parents of the couples! I was told this is how they are 'throwing' the showers now. Is this going on in your town also?????? Am I just being too old fashioned to think the choice of gift is mine to make??? I can understand a theme or 'we are registered at' but just all gift cards only?????
Not surprising with today's young people. I haven't heard of this before, but if I should receive an invitation stating this I would definitely not attend nor would I give any type of gift. To me the gift should be the giver's choice and what they can afford. Unless however, the giver specifically ask the recepient just what they wanted, and planned to give that particular gift.
And an invitation stating 1-3 gift cards, that really takes the cake in my opinion!!! Just me but I would not give them anything, and if ever ask why, I wouldn't hestitate to tell them.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:04 PM

Call me old fashioned because I do not like the registry deal and especially a request for gift cards, I think it is pretty bold, I would never in my life dream of asking someone for a gift card, wow, nothing says "I think your gift might suck so I want to pick my own up". And I am not fond of the registry either, though it is not tacky, I just dont care for that myself.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:10 PM

yes. people are very specific about what they need/want. this is especially true in this economy. also, people don't want to have to return a lot of repeat gifts. it actually takes the guesswork out of gift giving. i have made some quilts in colors i never would have made as a result but the recipients were happy and that is the point.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by laceybritt
I know times are changing BUT I have received an invitation to a bridal shower that states gift cards only and from 1 to 3. The same with a baby shower invitation. IMO this is extremely tacky and makes me feel like I should just drop off the gift card and leave. I barely know the parents of the couples! I was told this is how they are 'throwing' the showers now. Is this going on in your town also?????? Am I just being too old fashioned to think the choice of gift is mine to make??? I can understand a theme or 'we are registered at' but just all gift cards only?????
never heard of this kind of shower ....
Old 07-17-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by kuntryquilter
I would make them a gift card, maybe something like this. 'This Gift Card good for one quilt. Colors of your choice.'
ABSOLUTELY LOVE this idea!

In all honesty, I think as far as $$$ spent...
the quilt I'd make would probably have more value in fabric/thread/etc...
(not to mention TIME) than any amount I'd have spent on a gift card.

But of course most non-quilting people don't understand the real VALUE in a handmade quilted item.
They likely see a baby quilt at Wal-Mart for $9.96 and think that's the worth/value of a any quilt - handmade or store bought.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:59 PM

a 2 hour shower? wow........
Old 07-17-2011, 06:27 PM

I like 'themed' showers...it always helps me in selecting a gift. I do agree...a gift card shower is tacky. I am to the point where I really hate being invited to a shower...and, many times, I just send a gift and do not attend.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:50 PM

I have never yet given a gift card. For bridal showers I like to make a table runner and placemats in the wedding colors. For the babies, sometimes a quilt, sometimes crib sheets or receiving blankets, with pillow cases for the older siblings. I AM old fashioned, and I intend to stay that way.