Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on how to quilt a quilt with crazy patchwork >

Advice on how to quilt a quilt with crazy patchwork

Advice on how to quilt a quilt with crazy patchwork

Old 07-18-2011, 03:59 AM

I say quilt in a tornado circular pattern. but that is just me. that is i what I would see from the patterns. hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:25 AM

I think most true crazy quilts are actually tied with hidden stitches, rather than quilted. I shudder to even think of trying to hand quilt one through the foundation. But yours is actually more of a log cabin, and so pretty!! Love the color!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:23 AM

I took a class on crazy quilting only to learn how to 'quilt' the quilt since I already knew the basics of how to make the crazy quilt front/blocks. The instructor had crazy quilts from the 1800's to the present and she said they never machine or hand quilted the quilts. She said they are always tied them. Since the blocks are sewed onto a base fabric of muslin or such, she said to use batting and backing, then tie them only from the back by only going into the quilt as far as the muslin base and not clear through to the front of the designed block. Just hook the yarn into that and come back out and tie it in a square knot. You would still need to keep the ties close so the batting wouldn't fall later. I love to make crazy quilts and use tons of embellishments...beads, stitches, lace on each seam and so on. I embroidery a little picture by hand to use as the center of each block and work around it. If you want ideas of where to get yarn for the stitching and embellishments pm me. Your quilt is really pretty. It will be great when it is done. It is so ballanced and the colors are so pretty together.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:44 AM

Eagle Hawk - Thanks, but I'm really not trying to make a traditional crazy quilt here. As long as I can manage to do it physically, I don't see any reason not to quilt it the way I want to. However, if practically no one is quilting crazy quilts then that's a pretty good sign that it's going to be very hard to get the needle through, not to mention avoiding clutter visually, so I think I will keep the quilting within the blocks to the bare minimum, probably just a small motif in the centre. There's plenty of space in the sashing, after all.

sahm4605 - tornado circular pattern? Could you explain further? I am intrigued but confused!

candledish - ooh, that's handy to know, thanks. It probably wouldn't help if I had used some sort of washable marking pen, though, as we don't know how they'll react to salt. Right now I'm thinking of marking it with a silver quilting pencil, as they strike a good balance between rubbing off by the time you've quilted over them, but not rubbing off the rest of the quilt while you're generally handling it. This would save me having to wash it at all.

The colours have worked out nicely, I'm very pleased with it. It was a block swap quilt and the block description I gave was fairly vague, so I'm lucky that it turned out this well. Two blocks didn't make the quilt due to not working well with the others, of which one (crazy block made from three near-indistinguishable fabrics) will become an accompanying cushion where I can have fun with embroidery, and the other (not a crazy block at all) will become a wall hanging where i can have fun with beading.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:24 AM

please let us see the quilt in your avatar love everything from egypt
Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 AM

Thank you!

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4146/...038fb67380.jpg[/img]
Old 07-18-2011, 11:10 AM

I took several classes on crazy quilts and we were told not to quilt them. Tie them. this was because of the heavy to light materials and they already had so much stitching in them. But each one is different and you will learn the method which ever one you use! My best.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:13 AM

Good point about the materials, I hadn't thought of that. These are all made with quilting cotton. The only thing I've noticed so far is the ones with foundation being a bit heavier, plus that one where there's the heart fused on.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:29 AM

Then if you are going to quilt instead of tie, then that is great. That is the best thing about crazy quilts...they are so individual and personalized in the way they are made. I'm sure that your idea of quilting instead of tieing yours will work out great and there is just no right or wrong as long as it works. I really do think that your layout, pattern and colors are so pretty together. I can hardly wait to see it done. I have made several scrap quilts that are strips layed on muslin the same way of making a crazy quilt, but without all of the fancy stitching either and I do a free motion stiple on those. They are a bit heavier, but they still quilt up great, so you shouldn't have a problem with your crazy quilt for sure. Just have fun with that beautiful quilt.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:56 PM

Lobster, I have to agree with Eagle Hawk...I have made several crazy quilts, and have tied all of them. Crazy quilts are normally just the front and a backing<although I did do one with thick batting for my parents 45th wedding anniversary quilt>. Now I am not saying you can't, but going through those seams and embellishments is going to be a difficult job. I did mine mainly out of velvet, satin, silk and materials that do not take to quilting easily<You have to do different techniques with many of the "fancy fabrics" to even applique them together. What type of fabric are you using?<It is hard to tell from the picture.>
If you are adding beads, charms, buttons, etc, be sure and add them AFTER quilting. The places where you fused may make the needle "gummy". I am looking forward to seeing your result!!! Great colors. I will also echo - Only YOU can decide what advice to take to make it your quilt, so as I say to my friends - take what you like and leave the rest!
p.s. Your avatar is lovely!