Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how did you learn to quilt?  also, beginner machines. >

how did you learn to quilt? also, beginner machines.

how did you learn to quilt? also, beginner machines.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by kristelwyman
ok, thanks -- that's just the one that came up when i searched for what you said. do you think the cs6000i is very different from the one i have?
I know you said you had a basic machine but you really didn't say what it was. There are some features that you will want.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:45 PM

sorry, it's this one here: http://www.amazon.com/Singer-Stitch-.../dp/B00006498M

i think it's fine for the top layers, but i'm also looking for one with more room. i have a fantasy of having a linen closet with a nice stack of beautiful large quilts that i made. :)
Old 07-18-2011, 07:04 PM

sorry, it's this one here: http://www.amazon.com/Singer-Stitch-.../dp/B00006498M

i think it's fine for the top layers, but i'm also looking for one with more room. i have a fantasy of having a linen closet with a nice stack of beautiful large quilts that i made. :)
It is getting good reviews. Does it have a 1/4" foot or can you get one for it? That is really important for accurate piecing. I didn't realize before that you had anything so I would say stick with that until you decide you want to "move up". You might decide your aunt is right and you want to hand quilt. Or you might decide you want something different for the actual quilting. You will find many people have multiple machines. Some are just for free motion quilting and only do straight stitch. Give yourself some time because a good machine will be an investment.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:07 PM

hm, i really don't know what a 1/4" foot is... will look into that. :)

i don't mind if a good machine is sort of expensive -- it's my wedding gift from my husband. :)
Old 07-18-2011, 07:17 PM

hm, i really don't know what a 1/4" foot is... will look into that. :)

i don't mind if a good machine is sort of expensive -- it's my wedding gift from my husband. :)
Accurate 1/4" seams are essential and the 1/4" foot facilitates that.

"Sort of expensive" is relative. I would still advise you to learn some basics and see some machines before you make that decision.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:23 PM

thanks, sparkys_mom. :) i'm sure you're right. i just like researching products before i buy them, not looking to buy immediately or anything. but when i do, i'd like to keep it under 1k. thanks again for all your help!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:28 PM

Hi Kristel, welcome from Nebraska!
I taught myself to quilt by reading quilting magazines and books. There is no end to what you can read and watch on the internet. When you don't know a term that someone uses means just Google it to find the answers your looking for. It might be faster to take a class or several but if you really want that stack of quilts (which was my fantasy to start with and still is today,lol)it is possible to learn on your own.

As far as a bigger machine to quilt on, you might want to look into a Juki (9" throat) or a Bailey (13" throat) machine. There are tons of other ones and they can go as high in price as $6-7K and not even be a long arm quilting machine. I would start with at least something with a 9" throat and work up from there before I spent a ton of money on a machine. You may find that quilting really isn't your thing, though I can't imagine that, LOL!!!

Best wishes!
Rose L
Old 07-18-2011, 07:31 PM

wow, i sure didn't so many quick responses!! thank you!!

i have a very basic sewing machine, and i know that is fine for doing the top part... but i should have said i'm looking to be able to sew the stuffing between the layers, and mine doesn't have enough room, you know?

i have a relative that quilts (but she's in ontario, canada and i live in vancouver, bc half the time, and in seattle, wa the rest of the time)... i told her i want to learn, and she was super discouraging because she said nice quilts are always done by hand. and i'm sure that's true, but it's not the type of quilting i want to do, you know?
The one thing you learn here is that it is your quilt and you can do it the way you want ....that includes machine quilting.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:33 PM

I second the recommendation of the 1/4 inch foot. It is wonderful. I have one for my Bernina 380 and love it. I didn't understand why I needed it when I enrolled for my first class and now I don't know how I would ever do without it.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:41 PM

Welcome, so glad you joined us. There's a lot of self taught quilters on here, so I would say we learned just by reading, asking questions, experimenting, and gradually getting more advanced and better.