Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Am I being to sensitive?? >

Am I being to sensitive??

Am I being to sensitive??

Old 07-18-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by pjaco
They will appreciate it later when they receive all the compliments! This is very pretty. I know how you feel, I feel that way too sometimes. It's beautiful.
oh, my, what a lovely quilt. It was rude in my opinion that you were snubbed. And I think you are not being overly sensitive but you won't want to stay that way. I don't know what the other one looked like but it couldn't have been as pretty as this one. It could happen that the child will choose yours over the other one. Let it go and keep quilting.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:30 PM

That is adorable. Just LOVE it. They should cherish it, but I am SURE the child will!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:50 PM

love your quilt. this happened to me. I made a very nice quilt for step-daugh. and her step grandmother made a cheater pannel one and it got the ooos and aaas. I was very dissapointed to. but the child has nothing to do with anymore, so on with life.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 PM

Like so many have said, non-quilters/non-sewers/non-(insert handmade craft) honestly don't understand the time and skill it takes to make the custom, handmade items that we love to give! Because *WE* know what goes into it, we can recognize the love in every stitch, even if we see colors or prints we aren't as fond of. But we can't really expect the non-"handmakers" to understand that, unless they've been educated previously.

And like others have said, showers can be a nightmare for women who aren't really into being the center of attention. I sincerely hope that I didn't hurt anyone's feelings at my baby showers by not making enough of a fuss over handmade items, when I was overwhelmed by not feeling well and just by the sheer number of gifts. When you're faced with a mountain of gifts and numerous eyes on you, unfortunately things fall through the cracks. But hopefully then you can make up for the hurt a little by writing appreciative thank-you notes. I always tried to look at the item as I wrote the thank-you note, so that I could mention something specific to it - like the bear that had a heart on one foot, you know? Partly so the giver knew that I had truly looked at and appreciated their gift.

As for the fleece blankets, well, those are really popular. What can I say? I've bought fleece prints and solids and made double-layer blankets for my home and for gifts. They're warm and toasty, it's easy (and not horribly expensive) to customize the print to the recipient, and most importantly - if they get used and loved to death, I don't feel bad. They didn't take that long. In my house, the quilts belong on the bed, though of course the small ones get carried around by my boys. But in terms of which blankets go on the floor in the basement for playing and watching TV - not the quilts! Nope, the fleece blankets. ;)

Oh, yes - and your quilt was very cute - totally appropriate for a baby, yet able to grow with the child. Hopefully the parents-to-be realize in time just how lovely the gift was.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:01 PM

Your quilt is adorable and all your hard work shows .Alot of people do not realize the Time AND EFFORT IT TAKE Sto make a quilt .
Old 07-18-2011, 09:29 PM

It's a beautiful quilt and shame on them for not saying so!
I wish my quilts were as good as yours.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:36 PM

You can please some of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time but some you just can't win with. The first quilt I ever made was gladly accepted by my DD for her first child but to her a quilt was for laying baby on when on the floor. At least it went to Jimboree. Now I make the grandkids bed quilts so they have to be used and I give them to the children them selves.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:20 AM
nab

Time is on your side. The fleece blanket will become bumpy with washes. Yours will remain beautiful.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:51 PM

thank you for making the baby a beautiful quilt and thank you for being a lady and holding your hurt in. we all agree it is awesome and when they find him curled up in it sound asleep they will realize just how beautiful it is maureen
Old 07-19-2011, 02:29 PM

You did a great job on the quilt, I really like it. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that for people who do not quilt they do not realize all the time and love that goes into a quilt when it is made for someone special. I agree with the one other comment about others appreciating it and when the owner of the quilt hears all the comments it will make her feel differently. And I am sure you will hear many nice comments from them then. They really are a labor of love aren't they.