Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been sewing for 40 years! >

I have been sewing for 40 years!

I have been sewing for 40 years!

Old 07-19-2011, 02:56 AM

I used to hate to sew when I was a teen in high school home ec was not my favourite and the teacher used to say your a girl use your own instincts in sewing so I took it home and my had my mother sew it for me she is a seamstress I was in my mid twenties when I taught myself how to quilt but as a teen I did crochet,knitting ,tapestry,crosstitch and embroidery I love hand stitching
Old 07-19-2011, 02:58 AM

I remember (approx age 5) sitting on the floor next to my mother while she sewed clothes for her, me and my brothers on the sewing machine in my avatar. So this had to be about 1953 or 1954. She'd give me a cotton dish towel with a design on it and a yarn needle with embroidery floss in it and I'd sit right there next to her and hand"sew" around the design. I loved it.
I learned to use the same sewing machine about age 8 or 9. I felt so grown up but I only sewed scraps together into squares (my first quilt blocks!!!).
Then in 7th grade Home Ec class we made a wrap skirt and other things.
I've been sewing ever since.
I can't wait till I retire in a couple years so I can sew all day.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:43 AM

Made a doll quilt at age 6 and other than a few family busy off years I can't remember not doing some kind of needle and thread craft or fabric collecting. I learned from a friend's grandmother. That is closer to 60 yrs than I would like to admit...lol!
Old 07-19-2011, 03:50 AM

My g'grandmother; grandmother and mother all sewed. My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was 4-5. Started sewing clothing about 8-10 and been sewing ever since. I'm right there with you in the 45 years worth of experience!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

i love reading all of your getting started stories :)
Old 07-19-2011, 04:07 AM

My Mom didn't sew, but my Grandma did. Grandma always made my sister and I indentical dresses and PJ's [oh how we loved those PJ's!], hers always blue, and mine always pink. Gawd I hated pink! One day I was at her house, and asked what she was gonna make for us next, and she showed me the pattern and fabric, and I begged her to promise me that I'd get blue this time. I loved her dresses, but I never wore them because they were pink. [I tried this later with the hair cutting Aunt - also to no avail]. She promised I'd get blue this time.
I was Sooo betrayed!
Anyway, when I was in 2nd grade, I found some red print cotton fabric, and wrapped it around myself, discovered it "fit" and was determined to make my own dress. I think I asked my Mom for a needle and thread, and she, no havin confidence in my ability, sent me across the street to a lady who sewed to ask her for help. She also not having confindence in me, sewed it for me.
After that I learned to just sew stuff I wanted without telling anyone was I was gonna do.
So I guess I've been sewing, and making my own patterns for about 40 years myself. Not one single thing in pink, either!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:10 AM

Isn't it funny the things we think about when we are sewing? I believe we have these thought because we do not have all the distractions of every day life.
I can't remember when I first started sewing . . .to many years ago, but I do remember my grandmother and her group of ladies that sat around the quilt stand as big as her dining room. They let me join, I was around 5-6 years old.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:16 AM

I grew up in a non sewing house. My mother patched dad's overalls (farmer) and when I was about 12 I found a piece of cordoroy fabric that I started cutting out a jumper. Well, didn't even know that there were pattterns out there. My mom sent me to an aunt and we found a pattern to make the arm hole of my jumper. I wore that jumper dress until it became a shirt (got taller not wider). On Christmas, when I turned 16, my dad bought me a sears kenmore machine (he hid it in the empty chicken house and had a small box filled with stitches that the machine would do under the tree) and made me open that little box last. I have sewed most of my clothes since then, my children's clothes, and even wedding dresses. Quilting came when I was 21 and now I am 55 and still doing it.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:43 AM

What a great topic. I remember begging for a sewing machine when I was 10 years old. That Christmas my Dad said they couldn't afford a sewing machine so they got me something 'just as good,' a sewing kit. Fortunately, I was gracious and said thank you.
Then, my Dad got up and pulled a box out of the closet! They really couldn't afford it but they were always sacrificing for us.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:58 AM

I think I started sewing in Home Ec class in 6th grade. Been sewing ever since. I used to make most of my own clothes, and later made a lot of my childrens clothing. Money was tight then and fabric was cheap. Didn't start quilting until later. Probably 20-25 years ago. Been part of my life for a very long time!!!
Sue