Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
False Praise >

False Praise

False Praise

Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 AM

i agree with what everyone is saying here. however i'm in a place where I have a hard time putting fabric together where it looks appealling. I get feed back from one of my daughters but then she says you more about this than I do. Right now I'm having a problem with borders fitting right they always seem to ripple a comment there would appreciated. I think I've always had that problem but managed to quilt it out when I was hand quilted.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 AM

i agree with what everyone is saying here. however i'm in a place where I have a hard time putting fabric together where it looks appealling. I get feed back from one of my daughters but then she says you more about this than I do. Right now I'm having a problem with borders fitting right they always seem to ripple a comment there would appreciated. I think I've always had that problem but managed to quilt it out when I was hand quilted.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:58 AM

Borders...here's how I do them:

Measure down the length of the quilt top in three places- right, middle and left side down. Now take those three measurements and divide them by three.
For example: 60-1/2" + 60" + 60-1/4" = 180-3/4". Divide the 180-3/4" by 3 (180.75 / 3 = 60.25). So you will cut the side border fabric to 60-1/4" in length x whatever you want the border width.
Pin the border onto the side of the quilt, matching the two ends to the edges of the quilt top side ends. You may have to either stretch the border or the side of the quilt top to fit the borders. The difference will be less than 1/4" of the entire length..so barely noticeable.

Press the seams...repeat across the width of the quilt top in three places...divide & that's the length of the top and bottom borders.

If you are doing a mitered border..and the borders are 5" wide..add 12" to the length and width of the measurement...but mark the extra 6" at each end and fit the border from marking to marking...this leaves enough space to mark your diagonal miter seams and stitch.

If you are doing a mitered border & don't know how...a simple way is the fold the quilt on the diagonal, matching the side of the top to either the top or the bottom (depending on which corner you are mitering)..and mark the borders on the diagonal...pin & stitch on the lines you marked...from the outer end to the corner of the quilt top.
This should give you a perfect corner mitered seam...test before you trim the seams.

Hope this helps some.

Originally Posted by f rogers
Old 07-19-2011, 11:03 AM

I just don't say anything if it's just that bad. If it's someone new to quilting, though, I try to complement them on something they did do well with it. It's good to be encouraged when you're really trying to do well. If someone *asks* for opinions, though- well, I'm happy to oblige! ;)
Old 07-19-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
If I can't find something to compliment, I don't say anything.
Ditto for me.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:06 AM

I try to point out the good things on the quilt..and if I see a problem...say the tips of a star point are cut off...I will say something like, "I used to struggle with points some, until I read somewhere that when stitching seams where they will meet a point, to always stitch as close to where the points are, but never over them...even if I have to fudge the 1/4" seam a thread or two. I then press & check the block, triming if needed to get the correct size."
It's not a criticism, but a lesson on how to improve the outcome of their next project.

If I don't like the color, I rarely comment on that..we all percieve color differently..what looks like bright red to me, may look deep pink to you..so for color choices, I rarely make a comment. If the person asks...I'll mention value and how to use a red or green piece of plastic to look through and see if the values work...but I never mention color choice...only values.

Originally Posted by JanieW
I read the quilt police thread and some of the comments made me think about the issue of giving false praise.

When someone has made a quilt that is poorly put together or there isn't enough contrast with colour choices, or it just plain doesn't look right, are we being fair by complimenting them?

I don't believe in embarrassing a person by pointing out mistakes or telling them that they have to do it the "right" way. I don't believe in telling someone their work is lovely when it isn't. Being positive and encouraging is essential, but damning with faint praise is harmful.

Where is the line between trying to help someone improve their skills and being the dreaded hated quilt police?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:11 AM

Honestly say what you like, and fer heaven sakes, don't tell folks what you don't like unless they ask.
It's real simple.
butt in case yer lines are a bit grey, first ask yourself this: "Who will this benefit by saying what I think?" If the answer isn't the person to whom you are 'talking' then squash it.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:11 AM

I can always find something to compliment.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by PrettyCurious
Honestly say what you like, and fer heaven sakes, don't tell folks what you don't like unless they ask.
It's real simple.
butt in case yer lines are a bit grey, first ask yourself this: "Who will this benefit by saying what I think?" If the answer isn't the person to whom you are 'talking' then squash it.
Good advice!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:43 AM

Location: Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground

Originally Posted by np3
If they haven't asked for help on improving their skills, then don't offer it. If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all. It may not look right to you, but it looks right to them and that is all that counts. It may not be your color choices, but it was theirs.

I like what I like and I don't particularly care about the rules on color choices or contrast. If I am making a gift for someone, then I care about what they like, even if it isn't my style.
Agree, they put there best into it and they feel proud of what they did