Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It's official . . . . I hate binding!! >

It's official . . . . I hate binding!!

It's official . . . . I hate binding!!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
I don't mind making the binding or attaching it to a quilt - was taught an excellent way when I first started out 3 years ago and I never fail to get great corners and a perfect joining of the ends to hide them - but I hate hand sewing the back down!!! I admit I'm picky about using tiny stitches that are invisible, but I don't like hand work. If I could figure out a way to do the whole thing on my machine, I'd be happy!!!
I just watched the video by Leah Day and she shows how to sew your binding on by machine. I have always done machine binding, but now I know how to do it right. Try this, it goes so much faster and is very simple. The only thing I would change when I do the second machine stitching, is to glue the binding onto the top, before sewing. Here is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5vzkuGw
Old 07-17-2011, 09:28 PM

I love binding. I have always liked the hand sewing part when I was making clothes for my children. It's relaxing for me to sit in front of the TV or listen to music and just stitch away.

Now if I could just get to liking the actual quilting too. I don't like having to stuff a huge quilt in my small sewing machine. The dream of a LA sustains me and keeps me trying.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:44 PM

If you don't like doing binding, does that mean you won't like to do hand quilting? Just curious.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:41 AM

I used to hate binding, but watched a tute by a man (cannot remember the site), and that solved my problems. Now I don't mind at all and get good results every time. Many times, especially on the smaller quilts I sew the binding to the back, bring it to the front and use a decorative stitch to finish. My hands do not take kindly to hand stitching, so this works for me!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:37 AM

me too. I hate binding. I need to bind a quilt for my grandson but just can't seem to make myself get started. I don't do binding very good but i know if I would try more often I might get better.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:29 PM

I'm all for the binding on the back first as I HATE handsewing anything. Some of my quick quilts I actually use the knife edge method. Layer them, sew all the edges (leaving a turning area) and turn inside out and then use a decorative top stitch all around on the outside. Since I'm not making any of them for show, it's quick, easy and so far no one I have given one to has ever complained.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:03 PM

me too, too impatient with it. My last quilt was beautiful, the binding however not so much
Old 07-19-2011, 06:07 AM

I don't mind turning the binding and handstitching it. I hate putting it on with the machine first.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:11 AM

I just finished binding a table topper with 8 90 degree corners. Took me about 3 hours.
Don't give up!
Alicia
Old 07-19-2011, 10:29 AM

I did too until I goggle "quilt binding" and saw an easy video on it. Now it is a breeze and I am a "confident beginner"