Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
???? Longarm quilting machines >

???? Longarm quilting machines

???? Longarm quilting machines

Old 07-19-2011, 08:54 AM

I just got a Nolting Fun Quilter that I use on a table that my husband made for me and I love the setup. I purchased a used Fun Quilter with the stitch regulator and I am thrilled and what I can do now. I had a JUKI 98TLE on a HandiQuilter frame for years and I found it very limiting.

My daughter and I both make quilts as a hobby and we have about 24 per year that we finish. I do use a lot of machine embroidery in my quilts and like you, was shocked by the response I received from professional quilters. Some were willing to quilt them at a very high price. In my mind that justifies the cost of the Fun Quilter.

But way beyond cost is the flexibility it gives us. The throat of the JUKI is just to small for some of what we wanted to do. We are certainly not ready for a 24 inch long arm. But the 17 inch is not scary, and we are able to do ruler, pantograms and free hand quilting with ease. I absolutely love quilting my embroidered tops!

My suggestion is to not start to small, and not go so big that it is overwhelming to learn or use. Also, the customer service for which ever system you go with is really important for hobby level quilters. I do not want the rep thinking I am a professional and know more then I do. The bottom line is that we do this because we love it, not because we want to up our stress levels.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:00 AM

Research, research, research.

After many months of doing just that, I made my decision to purchase my Innova Long Arm with frame.

I love quilting on my machine and do not have any regrets as to choosing this machine over all the others.

For the price range, it came with everything I need at the present time and when I'm ready and/or need to upgrade or add more features, it's super easy and I don't have to get a different machine to do so.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:14 AM

I have what is called a short arm machine, it's on a 14' frame, I can and have done king size quilts, don't like to.
It was a used machine it does not have a computer and it is a gambill/singer and I have done to date over 150 quilts. I love it. It cost $1250.00 delivered and set up
Old 07-19-2011, 11:47 AM

Several of my friends have their appliqued and embroidered quilts custom quilted and they are gorgeous., and the designs are not quilted over. Maybe you need to investigate other LA quilters..I know it is hard...like changing your hairdressee!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by MartyT
Several of my friends have their appliqued and embroidered quilts custom quilted and they are gorgeous., and the designs are not quilted over. Maybe you need to investigate other LA quilters..I know it is hard...like changing your hairdressee!
Working around embrodiery is very similar to working around applique. I can handle up to 120" width to any length desired on my Gammill machine.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 PM

Living in S.E. Texas.. we are lucky to have the Houston International Quilt Festival here!

I don't LA but if I were considering it...
I'd definitely test drive ALL the models at the festival and ask the manufacturer reps TONS of questions.

They often have special prices during the festival.
Not to mention that they have crazy deals on their floor models at the end of the festival.

The only bad thing is that you'd have to wait until November. :(
Old 07-19-2011, 12:52 PM

Try contacting a quilt guild group in your area and tell them you are looking for a long arm quilter that does custom work. You may have only come across long armers that do the edge to edge pantograph work and wouldn't be willing to quilt around the embroidered areas. If you do want a machine of your own you would need to get one with a 12 foot table... a 10 foot table won't be able to quilt the size quilts you are making. That's alot of space to take up in your house unless you plan to make alot of this type and size of quilts.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:01 PM

A suggestion! Some quilt shops has the LAQs and allow you to rent the machine (in store usage) You might check with you local shop to see if you can "rent" the machine.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:31 PM

I do machine embroidery too and quilt my own on my longarm. It's no problem to work around it at all. I bought my machine from Nolting becuase they made it latex-free for me and they were wonderful. I have a very basic machine, just the stitch length equalizer and i like it that way. Just a suggestion, Nolting has used machines that were traded in when someone wanted to upgrade and those prices are a lot cheaper. I have had my machine a few years now and it has been running great. Check out the Nolting web site. If you are near Nazareth, PA you are welcome to come and use my machine. I just put an ad in the paper here to rent it out by the hour. It would be nice meeting you if you are near by. You can make a lot more quilts if you quilt them on the long arm. If you decide to get one, consider renting it by the hour to other local quilters. It will help you pay for it and help other quilters who are not able to keep up with their quilt tops :) Happy Quilting!
Old 07-19-2011, 03:03 PM

There is a longram quilter here in Paris that has quilted several quilts that have embroidery on them. She did one for me. If you want her name/phone, just PM me.