Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
People buy unfinished quilt tops? Really? >

People buy unfinished quilt tops? Really?

People buy unfinished quilt tops? Really?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 AM

I have bought several on here they were 25.00, 30.00 $ for lap to twin
Old 07-19-2011, 08:09 AM

Wow...I never thought to buy just a top. My daughter bought one in a church auction and gave it to me to quilt for her, but I'd never sell one of mine. I put well over $300.00 in the top alone in the quilt that is my avatar. (Of course I still have lots of scraps...enough to make her new baby a matching quilt.) The backing was more and batting and thread extra. I have almost $600.00 in that quilt. Of course it's for my granddaughter and is all Batik fabrics. It measures 105 X 106. I guess I love the planning and piecing as much as anything else.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:59 AM

I do lose interest before I get the top finished sometimes and those I sell. I get the cost of materials back but not much more.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 AM

I've bought several. I bought a twin size vintage fabric one for $3. I just bought a Halloween crib size for $.50.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:11 PM

Check with your local quilt show. The quilt show where I live sells tops, blocks, finished quilts. Seems like it's a 90/10 cut so that the show gets a little money too. You might ask a guild in your area if they do this.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:30 PM

Wow, and here is naive me, thinking my quilt tops would be lovingly quilted and passed on to some special person, not practiced on or made into a dog bed, and didn't even think someone else would complete it and sell it for hundreds!

I think I'll stick to my own thing.

Thanks for the enlightenment!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:10 AM

I bought a top at a 'quilt yard sale' with extra fabric for borders for $35. I'm putting on at least 3 borders and gifting it to a friend. I will indicate on the label that I didn't make top - just borders.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Banned

I see lots of unfinished quilt tops at yard sales and the like. I've never bought one, because piecing is my favorite part of making a quilt!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:31 AM

I've bought a quilt top, a wall hanging and a table runner on here. All patterns that are too complicated for me at this stage in my quilting. The pineapple lap quilt is very well done. The batik wall hanging apparently has a few points that bothered the maker, but they're okay with me bacause I ddin't do it. The colors are wonderful. The table runner is paper pieced and very nicely done. I just need to finish them between making my children's birthday quilts. The prices were very reasonable - probably too inexpensive considering the work in them.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:41 PM

I am really surprised that the Amish and/or Mennonite have their quilts pieced by someone other than their own. That is kind of a disappointment to me, I have always had great respect for their way of life and when I have gone to Amish areas I have really admired their hand work....now I will have to ask if the tops are their own work or someone else's........I guess the "electric sewing machine" does make the work go faster, for the Amish-I think the Mennonites are allowed to have electric power.......