Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how did you learn to quilt?  also, beginner machines. >

how did you learn to quilt? also, beginner machines.

how did you learn to quilt? also, beginner machines.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:05 PM

Welcome!! You have come to the right place. Everyone on this board is very friendly and helpful. I taught myself how to quilt about 9 months ago. I bought a couple of books that helped a lot, but mostly looked things up online. I have also had questions answered on here. I have a Brother SQ9000, and it does what I need it to do. Good luck on your quilting journey. You may want to start with something simple like a 9 patch.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by kristelwyman
wow, i sure didn't so many quick responses!! thank you!!

i have a very basic sewing machine, and i know that is fine for doing the top part... but i should have said i'm looking to be able to sew the stuffing between the layers, and mine doesn't have enough room, you know?

i have a relative that quilts (but she's in ontario, canada and i live in vancouver, bc half the time, and in seattle, wa the rest of the time)... i told her i want to learn, and she was super discouraging because she said nice quilts are always done by hand. and i'm sure that's true, but it's not the type of quilting i want to do, you know?
I do my own quilting on my Brother SQ9000. I just roll it up on one end, so that it fits through the machine, then I begin quilting in the center. The center is the hardest part. I machine quilt all of mine.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:14 PM

i'm going to stop in at a fabric store today... i'm not sure if they sell what i'll need, but hopefully they will...

i'm going to pick up:

- one of those rings for hand quilting (when i think about it, i should at least try it)
- a Singer 1/4 Inch Foot #076838-P
- pins... are they called basting pins?
- more needles

anything else i am overlooking?

i'm thinking of trying to make this: http://sewkatiedid.wordpress.com/201.../#comment-4888 what do you think? do you think a beginner like me could do it?
Old 07-19-2011, 01:15 PM

another thing i haven't ever said -- i've been taking a "learn to sew" class for the past few weeks. i know the most basic of basics. :) the local quilt shop doesn't offer classes in the summer. :(
Old 07-19-2011, 01:19 PM

I learned to quilt as a child standing beside my mom and watching her. I use a Bernina 1000 and I love it.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:26 PM

[quote=kristelwyman]hello!

i just joined the group, and am happy to be here. :)

i really want to learn how to make quilts... i just picked up this book ( http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Guid...1039903&sr=1-1 ) and would like to try making one. i am looking for a good sewing machine i can use for quilts (the only thing i'm really interested in sewing, at this point). any suggestions?
I think it depends on the type of learner you are. I had sewn clothes (simple) for my children and took a beginners quilt class at local quilt shop. I need someone to show me how so that was a big help. Now there are so many YouTube videos that can help, I especially like Missouri Quilt Company videos.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:59 PM

My grandmother taught me to sew and then quilt. I watched her do needlework but showed no interest in that until later in my life.
She taught me to knit also but never liked that at all. I still have the baby booties and knitted cover she made for me and hubby for when we first got married. Guess she wanted a great grandchild real soon.
She did get a great grandchild but he was 6 years old when he arrived(adopted) so the booties just didn't work
I am saving them for when he and his wife have their first.
Did lots of sewing with her and will always treasure those times and memories.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:47 PM

Started quilting June 2010. I taught myself on a Brother HS2000 home sewing machine. Then I found this forum.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:28 PM

I did some sewing of clothes for myself and my kids. I saw some quilts that I really like and thought how cool. My first squares had candle wicking on them. Once I got the candle wicking done, I went back to the material store and the owner told me how to put it together. I sewed the top on machine and did all the quilting by hand. I put it in the local fair and won second prize. I haven't stoped quilting sence. The first quilt took me 2years to do. Thats with working and taking care of my kids and House keeping. That was around 20 - 25 years ago. I never took a class until about a year ago. Learned how to meander.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 PM

Quilting by machine is just great, it doesn't have to be done by hand. Rotary cutters and sewing machines have re-invented quilting. I agae that simple lap size quilts seem to be the best way to start. Easier to work with when putting it together (sandwiching it together) and besides, you can see the finish faster. LOL