Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been sewing for 40 years! >

I have been sewing for 40 years!

I have been sewing for 40 years!

Old 07-20-2011, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
i remember sewing doll clothes in elementary school [50+ years ago]. my mother sewed all of our clothes and made all of the decorations around the house. i just grew up with the satisfaction of making things. i didn't learn to knit until junior high school and was an adult before learning to crochet. the kids were grown before i did cross stitch. my dad built things and fixed everything and we did the gardening as a family. so i had very talented/handy parents to learn from. i wouldn't change that for the world.
You wrote my story. Are we sisters or something? It has been 70 years of sewing for me. I first made doll clothes from scraps that mama gave me, I was enchanted by what she could do with the sewing machine. I remember hanging around as she created baby colthes on a treadle machine. She would entertain me with word games as she sewed. Wonderful memories. In her late life, she made quilts from scaps I gave her. We ( DH & I ) ran a contract sewing business and I would take her stacks of cutaways. She'd spend hours sorting and cutting and then creating more wonders to make me gasp with surprise. :) :)
Old 07-20-2011, 03:22 AM

I love to sew, I started in home ec class in 8th grade, sewing a stuffed animal, a dolphin. Then my grama let me use her machine on her back porch. I can remember sewing my own clothes and stayed up til 2-3 am just to finish. Great memories.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:52 AM

I started sewing 58 years ago, when I was 5. Mom let me make an apron on her machine. Mom taught me to cross stitch at about the same age. I learned to knit when I was about 7. I also crochet and do counted cross stitch. When I was a teen I sold chicken scratch aprons. Guess I learned at my mother's knee. LOL
Old 07-20-2011, 03:59 AM

I first learned to sew in Home Ec class. We had to make an full apron (the kind that goes around your neck) that I just didn't like. I really wasn't into sewing then but I at least learned how. Then in 1973 I took a quilting class just to give me something to do while my husband was in graduate school. I didn't get into clothing construction until my first child was born. I started with baby clothes and ended up at swimsuits and evening gowns.

My mother made sure I learned the basics of knitting, crocheting, applique, needlepoint, cross stitch and crewel embroidery. The only thing I did not learn was tatting. I'm rectifying that now - I'm learning needle tatting.

At the time I hated learning that stuff. I wasn't interested in doing crafts. Later, when I became an adult, I found that I needed to know all that in order to do various crafts and I was most grateful to my mother for insisting I learn it. I tried doing that with my girls but they're only interested in quilting. And that's ok.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:02 AM

I was about 8/9 when my mom told me to get the machine out (very old treadle) and make a small soap bag for myself that I needed for school , that was 55 years ago still love it still try and sew everyday .
Old 07-20-2011, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
i love reading all of your getting started stories :)
I too like reading all your stories.
I started with doll clothes at about 11/12, then made a skirt out of pillowcase material with help from my grandmother. Ex-husband was proud of the fact that he could ask me out and I would make a new outfit. Sewed right up to now. Have also done crocheting & knitting. Start quilting about three years ago. Now that I'm retired have more time to quilt.
Love this forum. I have learn so much. This is a really fine group of people!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:09 AM

learned at age six sitting under moms quilting frame to push the needle up to her then asked if i could make a quilt like she did maybe she took my long stitches out at night that i will never know but out of seven sisters only two of us sew or quilt
Old 07-20-2011, 04:31 AM

I have always had an interest in sewing and crafting. My mother sewed all our clothes when my sister and I were young. She said we first had to learn to sew by hand before using a sewing machine(Good advice).I began sewing on a machine at 12 and have been at it for almost 46 years (I am dating myself). I have been quilting for about the last 15 years off and on and more in the last several years. I love sewing and cross stitching.I also love crafting. I went for a few years of not doing much sewing but when my first granddaughter was born.my sewing machine went up and it stays up.I bought my first machine at 18 (a Kenmore), my second, a Bernina and traded later for a Viking and also have a vintage White.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:36 AM

I made a simple skirt in 4-H, 58 years ago at the age of ten. That makes me older than dirt.....oh, well. That pity part lasted long enough! I'm thankful for every year. But I do envy the gals who are young and just starting to learn to quilt. They have a wonderful life ahead of them!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:40 AM

I've been sewing 48 years. My mom sewed, but sent me to a store to learn, when I was nine. By the time I was in junior high I was sewing all my clothes. When it came to home ec class they let me choose what ever I wanted to sew, while everyone else was doing the class project.
Over the years I have done many other things, stained glass, basket weaving, oil painting, tole painting and many other things, but my love of sewing always resurfaces.
I still make a few clothes, but now lean towards quilting, purses, or what ever catches my eye.