Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been sewing for 40 years! >

I have been sewing for 40 years!

I have been sewing for 40 years!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:06 AM

Started in HomeEc in Jr. High. Didn't do too much till marriage and 3 little girls. Made many little dresses and play clothes from remnants purchased with leftover grocery money. It has just progressed from there. Now I make an occasional dress, etc. for gr-granddaughter who is 2 and quilting which I love the most.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:39 AM

My grandmother sewed, in fact she worked in a sewing factory, my mother sewed, so, to follow the tradition, I sew. I took lessons from a dear friend of my mother's when I was 12 years old. She entered me in our county fair. I had to make a skirt and blouse. I won a blue ribbon, that was enough to keep me going. Never entered another competition, but I have love to sew most of my life. That was 48 years ago. OH MY!!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
OMG! It occurred to me last night as I was sewing half-square triangles and thinking of my sewing history - things I used to sew and what I sew now - that I have been sewing for 40 years! I learned in eighth grade and have been sewing ever since.

I have also been cross stitching for 25 years!

I wish I could remember what enchanted me about sewing, but I must love it to be doing it this long!

What about you - do you remember what it was about sewing that grabbed you at the beginning? Or what keeps you going now?
I started sewing at 5, so I have been sewing for 65 years. I made most of my clothes in high school; all my maternity clothes over the years; have made several wedding gowns, re-upholstered chairs, made all the GKids baby layettes and clothes when they were little, and am now into quilting. I do quilts for gifts for the family and many for charity. Not much into the alteration thing anymore. When I was little I was the only one in my class that had a different dress for each day of the week, so I guess that is what attracted me to sewing. I love the creative part of it.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 AM

wow ok, well you asked for it i have been sewing for 70 yr.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:13 AM

Ok crossstitching for 36 years. Quilting for 21 years. Thanks way to make me feel old.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:15 AM

my grandmother gave me needle, thread and fabric when I was about 5---that means I've been at it for, gulp, 65 years.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:32 AM

9th grade home ec, attempted to make a blouse, redid the button holes 3x, ended up with a D! Mom crocheted but could not read a pattern, she tried to teach me when I was 17... Picked it up again @ 21after buying a how to book. Also bought a how to knit book when i was 23, but was too frustrating. Took my 1st quilting class in Cordova in my early 40s taught a class (cathadral window) 6 months later. Moved, did not quilt again until this year, working on my 4th quilt this year. I also picked up knitting again about 6 years ago, it's hard to put down, I take knitting & crocheting with me when I travel, have designed a few of my own patterns. I also teach knitting & crocheting, as well as quilting here in the village.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 AM

71 years of sewing in some form or the other, just a way of life and enjoy each stich
Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 AM

What memories your posting dug up. At age 10 I started sewing in 4-H. That was 60 years ago. I took Home-Ec and improved my skills. It all came in handy when our kids were growing up, money was tight, but fabric was cheap. I made most of their clothes and mine.
Grandma taught me to crochet and knit at age 5. Cross-stitch enter the program 40 years ago and I started quilting 11 years ago. I managed to work in the middle of all that, but love being retired. DH (of 53 years) is very supportive and is a great color coordinator.
this board had been such a joy.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:00 AM

My grandmother started me sewing when I was very young, 10 or 12. She taught me cross stitch and how to blind stitch. She tried and so did my mom to teach me to crochet, never did accomplish that! I like you really started in junior high with home ec (which they don't teach here anymore), and went from there making my own clothes and then my childrens clothes. Didn't start quilting (even though I'm from a family that all quilted) until my husband retired from the Navy in 1992, but I must be older than you!