A baby library...

Old 07-20-2011, 07:10 AM

Oh, get her one of those Hallmark books where to record your voice by reading the story to her. Expensive but she will have your voice for ever.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:13 AM

We also have a favorite book that I picked up at Goodwill or another thrift store. It's called "Goodnight, goodnight" and is probably from the late 1970's.

Just found it on a search ... it was published 1980 and is by Eve Rice. Here's a review someone did of it: http://atuesdaystory.blogspot.com/20...goodnight.html
Old 07-20-2011, 07:15 AM

There are so many wonderfully funny and delightful children's books for all ages... asking the book store clerk (Barnes & Nobles keeps personnel up to date) is often a good source... also your public library... you could also call the reading department/ administration at your county school as they probably have a list (they will be delighted with your interest). But here are a few of my and my students favorites (1st through 3rd grade): Amelia Bedelia (a series); any books by Roald Dahl; Curious George (always a good series); Lowly Worm (series); these are just a few; I loved the books as much as my students. Reading to your children and delighting in books is one of the best activities a parent/grandparent/adult can do for a child. Have fun!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:24 AM

They are expensive but Oh so worth it!!! :lol:
Old 07-20-2011, 08:43 AM

From Pre-K on my kids loved the Adam Raccoon series by Glen Keane. As an adult I collect children's ABC and counting books. There are so many out there with wonderful themes and beautiful illustrations. You can get excellent prices on new and used media including books, CDs & DVDs at http://www.half.com I buy there all the time and have never been disappointed. Congrats on the new grandbaby!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:50 AM

"I'll Love You Forever"
Goodnight Moon
Where the Wild Things Are
Pat the Bunny
Five Monkeys Jumping on the Bed

My Mom buys all the greats a Nursery Tale book for their first Christmas.It's a "thing" in our family. And if you ever give a book, you must write in the front cover who it's to and from and a message for the recipient.

I've been watching for favorites at garage sales and second-hand stores since I'm now about to have my first grandchild that lives in the area. :) Some go to Mommy's house and some stay at Grandmas! Can you tell I'm excited? 5 weeks and counting!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Celeste
I cannot remember the name, but it's something like, I Love You More.
Wasn;t this the one written by Jamie Lee Curtis?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:55 AM

"Goodnight Moon"
Old 07-20-2011, 10:06 AM

It's my stepdaughters baby...so I am a bonus grandparent...and I "KNOW" how my stepdaughters mother and grandmother are, so it's easier if I don't compete, for family harmony... They might both pick apart my quilting, my color choices, my pattern choice, lol...

I have made her one quilt, and it's not like I won't in the future, I just LOVE books even more, and plan to keep that my signature gift...

Keep the books coming (most were already on my list, but there are some others I've missed!)[/quote]

I think you're wise to choose a different, low-key way to go. Keep it less stressful for you and the Mommy. Later on, if you choose to do more, that's your business. But new moms get so much stuff at first anyway; as the baby grows they always need larger clothing, etc and people tend to give newborn things as gifts. So you'll have chances later on when she needs things and the gift-giving is over. Mom will doubly appreciate it then! :)
You obviously love books and what better gift to give a child than the love of reading? Books are ALWAYS an appropriate gift and are getting costly to buy new. I watch for nearly new/new at garage sales and have good luck doing so.Best wishes!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:09 AM

Give the mama Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses to read in the hospital.