Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric donated to out Guild and what we are doing with it.  Any other suggestions? >

Fabric donated to out Guild and what we are doing with it. Any other suggestions?

Fabric donated to out Guild and what we are doing with it. Any other suggestions?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:35 AM

ok checked (gooled it)and found two different quilt guilds that meet on thursday.....really would like to go to this fabric sale.....the addresses are there but i do not know which one or what time. oops just realized, maybe it is only for guild members. I am a member of the Glendale Quilt Guild, would that "count" :)
Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 AM

If you lived closer, I would join your guild quickly and then buy like crazy. I don't even care about the dots. Looks like you will have one fabulous sale...lots of cool fabric.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 AM

I stopped at a yard sale last week. the lady priced her stuff by the table with each table marked with a color in chalk on her driveway. Similar to your idea -- but used a marker that matched each color on the masking tape.

Good luck on your sale!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:59 AM

staple the dot on.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:15 AM

For bigger pieces of fabric, the 1 and 2 gallon freezer bags work great! Good luck on your sale. Our guild is using up lots of its donated fabric by cutting it into the size of squares that one of our churches uses. They make quilts for Orphan Grain Train. (A charity for their mission all over the world.)
Old 07-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

One reason NOT to rely on placement of your items (in a $1 bucket, an area of the driveway, etc.) is that people pick up things from all over the area, then they bring them to the table for payment. At that time who's to say where something originally was? We did the colored yarn tied around the rolled fabric, and there were several advantages. One was that we could start the day with the red yarn meaning $1, but at the end of the day (or at the next sale date) we could suddenly change red to mean 50 cents. No tags to change. Also when things were brought to the table, we could quickly separate the reds from the pinks from the yellows, etc. and then it was quicker to add everything up. Another advantage was that the fabric was rolled and tied, so it didn't start flopping around. Prices were good enough that people didn't feel compelled to open up the bundles and inspect every square inch, so it stayed neater. Let us know what you decide on and how it works. I know that we will use the yarn ties again because everyone was happy with that system.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:31 AM

Sure wish I could come up for it - looks like there is a lot of wonderful fabric for sale.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 AM

I would just pin them on with straigt pins. They are all quilters so this shouldn't be a problem. I've also bought fabric that had the yardage on a tag that had a bow made of yarn through it and then pinned on with a small safety pin.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:21 AM

Nancy:
Wow! You have done a lot of work getting stuff ready. I have one of those basting guns that I don't use for basting, but it might be a quick way to tack price tags to your fabric. I will bring it if you want me to, along with extra tacks, and we can do that before the sale. Straight pins would work, but might stick someone, and these wouldn't. Call me if you want to use it and I will put it in my basket...
Roberta :)
Old 07-20-2011, 10:14 AM

STAPLES............. and they don't leave sticky on the fabrics.