Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's so great about BOM??? >

What's so great about BOM???

What's so great about BOM???

Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 AM

I get my BOM over the internet for free---I do one a month and I love it!!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:42 AM

Is there any resonably priced BOM on line ? I do the BOM block swap on this site , but I could see where the one at shops would be a more cohesive fabric selection.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:42 AM

What site do yo use ?
Originally Posted by dorrell ann
I get my BOM over the internet for free---I do one a month and I love it!!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 AM

I love the BOM at my local quilt store. You buy your first block for $5.50. If you take it back the next month finished, you get your new block free. It is like making a quilt top for $5.50. Of course you need to buy sashing fabric, backing and batting but it is still fun and it is fun to see howall the ladies use those blocks to make a quilt.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:43 AM

Where is it at on this board?
Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
I am doing the New Baltimore Album BOM from this board. It's great because I didn't think that i could do a Baltimore Album but the BOM breaks it down. I might not get all the blocks done in the right month but I can save them to work on and it is free. It makes you realize that big projects can be doable if broken down into smaller digestible segments.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:26 AM

I only do the $5 quilt club one at my LQS, cause I get it $5 usually, & I get to go once a month, & see what is new at the LQS. Even these mystery quilts now, I watch till it's all posted, then decide if I am interested or not, lol. I just like doing & creating my own designs too much, & like alot of you, I don't want to wait a whole month for the next block, or even do it all in the fabrics they choose for us!...
Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

BOMs usually offer different techniques and patterns and they are a great way to test a block and get a feel for it. I have weeded out blocks that I WAS SURE I wanted to make a whole quilt from. It is also a good way to test color combinations. For those who get bored easy, it keeps them motivated.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:05 PM

I do two through my LQS. I love them! I learn new things and with one of them we have to be at the shop the first Saturday of the month. She does a small infomercial about new fabrics, notions etc.. She prints out a recipe for us each month, she does a raffle for a few fat quarters and best of all we do a show and tell of projects we have finished. I just love ! I have met such great people there as well!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin
Sometimes my life is so busy with running kids to various sports, etc. that I can only accompllish one block in one month. My last quilt instructor made the most beautiful quilt....all out of civil war fabrics. I tried to steal it, but she noticed..darn! I am joining in January. Not sure of the cost, but my instructor is pretty frugal, so it can't be too bad.

I also need to be held accountable otherwise everything else gets in the way and my quilting takes a back seat.
AMEN!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:00 PM

Free BOM is great. Other ones can REALLY add up if you do the math. Quilt shops and online stores use them generate sales. Yes, seeing new patterns is nice...but many BOM's are same old patterns with new names. You would do better to find a book or pattern you like and get it.