Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric donated to out Guild and what we are doing with it.  Any other suggestions? >

Fabric donated to out Guild and what we are doing with it. Any other suggestions?

Fabric donated to out Guild and what we are doing with it. Any other suggestions?

Old 07-20-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by np3
Several of us got together and picked up some fabric from our storage shed that had been donated to the Guild. Then we sorted it and made jelly rolls and FQs out of some of the scraps. The scraps that were smaller than that are going into large baggies to be sold that way. Larger pieces were measured, folded and priced accordingly. I will add some pictures.

My problem: the dots I am using for pricing the fabric are peeling off. We are taking the fabric to the Guild meeting on Thursday to be sold to our members. Any better ideas on how to handle the yardage?
Yes, I typed up a bunch of tags on my computer (3 columns per page and I forget how many down) with blanks for yardage and price. Printed them out, rotary cut them apart, filled in the blanks and stapled to the selvage. Worked great for the short term. Don't know if staples eventually rust?

If you don't have time for that, staple the sticker to the fabric along the edge.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

I really like your idea of sorting the fabric by size and then selling it to the Guild members. I think you could cut up index cards - say into quarters, use a hole punch then tie a ribbon and pin to the fabric. Now that I've said that, it might be too much work. Too bad I'm on the opposite coast, or I might pay you a visit. Oh well.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:59 AM

What a stash! When I buy fabric at the thrift store, they roll it and put a rubber band around it with a piece of paper stapled to it with the price and size.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:55 AM

You would have to be clear on the other side of the country!lol(Oh well I have promised myself to use what I have before I purchase more)
Old 07-20-2011, 11:59 AM

The Guild I attend keeps the stash in one designated place and is available to all the members, when we want to make comfort quilts, we just "shop" from the Guild stash, no charge. But it is designated for comfort quilts only. Last month the ladies in charge of the comfort quilt ministry put together kits for pillow cases. One of our local charities, The Marjoree Mason Center, had requested pillow cases. We took the kits home, sewed them up, and then returned them this month. This way even people who can't afford to buy extra fabric can make comfort quilts; we do other things for fund raising.

Having said all that, I think the way your guild is doing it is good too. After all, we all love to buy fabric, so why not buy it from your local Guild? Good luck with your sale!!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM

Looks great so far thats going to be a great sale!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:03 PM

When I shop at Mill Ends they staple the price on the salvage of the fabric. They are easy to remove and everything stays in place. With more delicate materials they use tape.

Good luck with your sale.

jp
Old 07-20-2011, 05:19 PM

Not sure I'm following but could you use a square of masking tape with the colored dot stuck on the top? Think it might work.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:06 PM

I staple to edge of material.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:16 PM

You could use staples if you do it in the selvage or close to edge where it won't damage and area of the fabric to be used.

Boyee! Wish I lived near. I would love some of that for the charity quilts I make. Wish they had sales like that around here when I get my "ole age pension" check. LOL