Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been sewing for 40 years! >

I have been sewing for 40 years!

I have been sewing for 40 years!

Old 07-20-2011, 04:47 PM

I remember learning to make doll clothes when my mom and grandmother were busy sewing clothes or quilts when I was about 6. I learned to sew on Grandma's 1914 treadle, which I inherited. Mom tried to teach me to crochet when I was around 12 but my hands couldn't hold the thread. (She was making dainty doilies and table scarves.) I was married when I taught myself to crochet by using the biggest needle I could get and yarn. I've done some cross stitch too. I have some kits in the closet waiting for that someday when I have time. I've been doing some part of quilting since I was big enough to learn to thread the needles for the older aunts and grandma when they couldn't see as well. I made my first quilt on my own when my daughter was about 5 and she still has it. She was 42 on the 16th of this month.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
OMG! It occurred to me last night as I was sewing half-square triangles and thinking of my sewing history - things I used to sew and what I sew now - that I have been sewing for 40 years! I learned in eighth grade and have been sewing ever since.

I have also been cross stitching for 25 years!

I wish I could remember what enchanted me about sewing, but I must love it to be doing it this long!

What about you - do you remember what it was about sewing that grabbed you at the beginning? Or what keeps you going now?
My precious Angelic patient Mother, God rest here soul. She helped me to make a double wedding ring quilt for my doll, made a quilt frame from laths and a flour sack lining for the quilt. All you would have to do is sneeze on the little quilt and it would fall apart, but my Mother made me think it was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen. At the age of 68 I am still sewing, quilting, knitting, cross stitching and crocheting. Love to all of you quilters.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:15 PM

Took Home Ec in 7th grade. Made a nice dress, but my mother had to take it all apart. It was to small. That was 41 yrs. ago. I tried off and on all these years to make some clothes, and I could never adjust the pattern to fit me. However I did sew dresses and doll clothes for my daughter when she was little. Instead of sewing I did every other needle craft, crochet, knit, needlepoint, petty point, cross stitch. I learned to quilt in the 80's but did that all by hand. It wasn't until 2 years ago that I started machine quilting. And I love it now. I've made valances for every house I ever lived in, because I like the longer length and I could choose my own fabric. But that was all just straight stitching.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:04 PM

My Mother in law loaned me her treadle sewing machine when I was expecting my 2nd child & I took a nite class to learn to sew. My daughter is now 55 & I haven't stopped sewing since. I made most of my 4 kids school clothes, & even sport coats for my husband. Good memories! Now I do alterations & quilts, & most of my blouses. Jan :-)
Old 07-20-2011, 06:33 PM

I already posted once today, but, forgot to tell you...I was sewing half-square triangles last night too! I was finishing 4 in. pinwheel blocks from Aunt Gracy fabrics out of my stash. I had enough to make 181 pinwheels!!! I'm finished with half-square triangles and pinwheels for awhile...a long while. LOL
Old 07-20-2011, 06:36 PM

53 years of sewing......good grief I am getting old!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:50 PM

I learned to sew in high school, maybe jr high. My mom was a sewer also. I didn't do much sewing until after my kids were born, probably after the birth of my daughter. I would sew all kinds of dresses, boys shirts, tee shirts, panties, etc. I got into quilting at my church where they always had a couple of quilts to be worked on during our monthly relief society meetings. I have slowed down over the years but got back into sewing after the birth of my grandkids. Then came the blessing dresses and quilts.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:27 PM

Don't remember quite what inspired me, maybe because Mom sewed a lot of our clothes. Start with 4-H in the 4th grade. I still have the Apron I made. Let's see 70 - 9, wow 61 years. Also learned to knit at the same time and Mom taught me how to crochet - cross stitch came about 20 years ago and quilting about 4 years ago.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:32 PM

I don't remember when I started sewing, my first recollection of my mom quilting was when I was nine. Took 4 years of Home Ec. in school, senior year had to make a baby dress from scratch, hand sewned with french seams and I still have it. A neighbor of ours taught me to crochet when I was around 12 and taught me piano also.I taught myself to play guitar, I now play the keyboard. I started quilting with my mom several years ago. I taught myself how to knit, but didn't like it that much and living in Texas, couldn't wear much of it anyway. Love needlepoint and stamped and counted cross-stitch. Have done all my grandchildren counted cross-stitch Christmas stockings, working on great grandson now, he's 18 months..So I've been sewing, quilting etc. for a long time..I'll be 69 Aug 3rd..Love to to all kinds of needlework.. Have finished 4 quilts in the last 3 months.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 PM

hate to admit it but i've been sewing for almost 70 years. when i was very young i was really sick and my mom would let me sew scraps on the treadle to keep me busy when i couldn't go out to play. i've been playing with a sewing and embroidery machine ever since.