Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's so great about BOM??? >

What's so great about BOM???

What's so great about BOM???

Old 07-20-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
My local LQS runs a BOM called the $20 quilt. You go each month at a preset time, get an update and demo on what's new in the shop, have a mini show and tell, see the new BOM pattern, drink tea and pick out your free fat quarter. By the time the year is over, you have 12 completed blocks, 12 fat quarters, learned several new techniques and viewed all the new merchandise, visited with your quilt buddies and have the instructions to complete your quilt - all for $20! I love BOM expecially the way my LQS ladies run it.
I want to visit your LQS!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:41 PM

I have done both: the LQS ones where you buy in and make the current month, get the next month free as well as the online ones.

Sometimes the onlines are also the only place to get the pattern. When I was working, it was also easier to have them collect the fabrics and cut them the amount needed, especially when it comes to very small pieces (less than a fat quarter) than buy more than I need. Sometimes it also seems less painful for expensive patterns (like the ones with a lot of applique or paper pieced) if you do BOM and are getting the fabric, especially fabrics you may like, but are not necessarily what you would buy on a regular basis.

It all depends on what you want. Since there are now more websites with free ones and more stores offering them, there is more to choose from. I am currently doing a make one, get one BOM at the LQS (designed by them), but I am using different fabric than they provide.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:47 PM

I like ours at our Quilt Guild, because we buy the pattern and some fabric, for .50 and then at next meeting, everyone turns their block in and receives a ticket for a a drawing that is held later on during our meeting. You win enough blocks to complete a quilt.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:48 PM

We have a $5 quilt block every month at our LQS so you just go by and get your block each month with the instructions. After the designated # of months. You have sewn all your blocks for the quilt and then you put it all together to make your quilt top. It doesn't take long to do each block and you can take your finished block to the LQS each time to show and tell when you pick up your next block pattern and fabric. Then you have instructions for th future to make another quilt in another color scheme. I love BOMs because you can work on different projects and at the end of the time, you have make all the blocks for a specific quilt and didn't have to coordinate any of the fabrics. It is all done for you! Love it!!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:48 PM

Several years ago my LQS offered a holiday BOM. Each participant had to sign a contract saying that when we signed up, we would purchase all 12 blocks - I assume this is so the shop would not be "stuck" with BOM's that people failed to pick up. I liked the ease of doing only one block each month and I forced myself to stay on top of it. I purchased a finishing kit at the end of the 12 months - last year I assembled the blocks and did the sashing - and it has sat in a box with everything marked and ready to finish -- hopefully this summer - or fall - or....
Oh, each block was $15 and I know the price was raised in subsequent years.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
My local LQS runs a BOM called the $20 quilt. You go each month at a preset time, get an update and demo on what's new in the shop, have a mini show and tell, see the new BOM pattern, drink tea and pick out your free fat quarter. By the time the year is over, you have 12 completed blocks, 12 fat quarters, learned several new techniques and viewed all the new merchandise, visited with your quilt buddies and have the instructions to complete your quilt - all for $20! I love BOM expecially the way my LQS ladies run it.
Yours sounds like a really good BOM and I can see the attraction to it - wish I lived closer.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by kimscruzer
Is there any resonably priced BOM on line ? I do the BOM block swap on this site , but I could see where the one at shops would be a more cohesive fabric selection.
Fat Quarter Shop has a BOM that is $10 a month. It's a mystery BOM and it uses the fabric line Strawberry Fields by Fig Tree Quilts. This is my third year doing their mystery BOM's and I can tell you they give you tons of extra fabric. So much that I've managed to make good sized lap throws with the extra material!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by SharBear
I think it's a great way to try / learn a new technique in a non-threatening way - espically if it's a Sampler type quilt that has a lot of new challenges. A whole quilt of xxx might be too overwhelming but one block - hey, I can do that!

Of course, if you need the instant gratification of a quick finish quilt you are sunk!
That's true and I agree. A great way to learn new techniques, and some difficult blocks as well. I did the Le Jardin as a BOM, and that is the only way someone should do that quilt; otherwise you won't be able to finish it in a year!

Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 07-20-2011, 06:26 PM

I participated in several BOMs when I first started quilting. They were offered by my LQS so whenever we picked up the new block for the month we were offered help along the way. I learned valuable lessons and tips from seasoned quilters. I am a confident quilter because of them. I would recommend a BOM for any beginner quilter.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:41 PM

I am in Rhonda's BOM swap,no up front fee,you pick your own colors for each swap. I have learned new techniques and I try to do a different one of her blocks each month.Lots of fun. My goal is to do a sampler quilt or lap quilt.Have not received a bad block yet. Look forward to getting my block each month.