Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been sewing for 40 years! >

I have been sewing for 40 years!

I have been sewing for 40 years!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:41 PM

Well, I guess I have not thought about it, but I've been sewing about 43 years! They have been mostly clothes, crafts, and embroidery. I did make a quilt in my 20's when I was first married and we needed something warm when the weather dropped.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:45 PM

I remember my mom teaching me to crochet when I was 7 or 8. I started sewing before that. Mom tied a quilt that was made of simple 3 inch blocks made of double knit to cover an old quilt. I helped sew and tie. I must have been about 7, in 1st grade.
Didn't find cross stitch till 20 then quilting at 23. I learned macrame at 11 from my mom's cousin Hazel. I don't crochet except for special occasions. Each of my kids have a baby blanket. Don't cross stitch or macrame at all any more.
Quilting is my passion.
I'm 42 now. Been sewing for 35 yrs.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:49 PM

My grandma sewed everyone's clothes and I learned from her at a very young age. She took me with her to the church quilting circle every Thursday morning, and I loved to sit at the big quilting frame with them and quilt. By age 12, my best friend and I each made a dress a week and wore them to church on Sunday. My grandma ALWAYS checked to see if I had finished my seams, which has given me a lifetime of good sewing habits. I started piecing quilts when I was asked to make retirement quilts. It's more fun to make things that I want to! I guess I'm in the 50 years of sewing club, since I just turned 55.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 PM

Almost 60 years -- my Grandmother stood me at her treadle as soon as I could see over the top (about 5) when I was standing. My Aunt (who lived with Grandmother) taught me how to cut out doll clothes and before I was tall enough to use the treadle I was sewing them by hand.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:58 PM

I started sewing simple things like skirts with plackets inside of zippers and pajamas when I was 8 so that makes me sewing for 54 years. I made my clothes as a teenager and made my wedding dress, then made clothes for the kids and knit polo shirts for my DH-made curtains, covered chairs, did sewing crafts and started quilting off and on 35 years ago and now love quilting.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:44 PM

I learned embodery when I was 6. I had 2 grannies who were determinded that I would be a sewer. I made my first quilt by hand when I was ten. I guess what kept me at this lovely way of spending time was that I could make things my family needed during a time when much was needed and there was little or no money. I have been sewing for 60 years. I still love it. I even supported my family by sewing for the public in later years. I have always enjoyed making clothes for all my family. Marvel
Old 07-20-2011, 10:26 PM

My story is exactly the same as quilting angel!!!! First counted cross stitch, then crochet, and now nothing but quilting. The only difference is my Mom never quilted.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:08 AM

My grandmother taught me to embroider when I was 5 or 6 (needless to say, it is not very neat, but I still have it). I am 66 now
Old 07-21-2011, 05:27 AM

What wonderful memories your question brought back! I remember visiting my grandmother and watching her sew on an old Singer treadle machine at her kitchen window. Just before school started and before Christmas she would tell my sister and me to go upstairs and pick out 2 or 3 pieces of 'yard goods' from the large table that was always piled high with fabric. Then, we would look at the Sears catalog and show her what dresses we liked. As if by magic, a few days later, our new wardrobe would be ready! She made all of our clothes from the skin out, until she was killed by a drunk driver when I was fifteen years old. Her clothes didn't fit especially well (no pattern used), but they were always very modest! I remember as a teenager worrying about what my wedding gown might look like if Grandma made it for me with only newspaper to cut for a pattern! I appreciate her talents so much now that I am older, and I want to carry on her legacy. With my children all married and gone, I am rediscovering this wonderfully creative obsession once again!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:57 PM

I wish I knew how to sew! I can only make quilts. I do love cross stitching and have taught myself to knit and crochet. Everything I have learned including using my Gammill is self-taught. I never live anywhere near anyplace to teach me. Whenever I try to go somewhere, an employee seems to either get sick or quit. The joys of owning your own business.