NOW What Do I Do??? *sob*

Old 07-21-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak
There are all sorts of changes and splits going on at work, and as a result, there are some lay-offs taking place. Yesterday afternoon the lady who started our quilting group was informed that next Friday was going to be her last day. Other than her, there were only 4 of us who were still coming faithfully to the group, and 2 of them were friends of her from outside of work. So it looks like our little group is going to now fall apart! :'c(
I'm not understanding why the quilt group must stop just because some folks are getting laid off especially since a couple of the members were from outside your work place.

Why should that stop y'all from still going on with the quilt group?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
So - why can't you continue to meet?

Is "work/job" and "quilting group" intertwined somehow?

Can't you all get together at alternating homes or something? It is not the fault of any of the quilting buddies that some got let go and others didn't. Is that the issue?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:21 AM

I don't go tp any classes, nor do I belong to quilting guild. I learn by doing things on my own. I have alos learned alot from this board. There are all sorts of patterns out there, some easy, some difficult. Pick patterns that you like and start cutting the pieces out and sewing, if you come across something that you don't understand, ask on the board.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:42 AM

Our senior citizen center has quilters and i belong to a guild. also meet with fellow church members twice a month at the church for crafting, our library has a meeting room and we meet there once a month. i am on SS so my resources are limited but you should be able to find a mentor and group to sew with. this board is excellent and will always help!!! :thumbup:
Old 07-21-2011, 05:57 AM

How about you start another quilting group of your own? You might be able to find enough ladies to constitute a group, make some new friends, get some new patters etc.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:59 AM

Amma's right. We're here to help and you'll find all sorts of info on the internet.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:59 AM

Since you will no longer be working together what is wrong with a once a week get together - take turns at each other's home? or maybe the library has a little room where you can meet? or Sr. center or nursing home area? but keep on meeting so you don't lose contact with each other - friends are as important to keep as your learnig to quilt so continue to do it "together" even if it is not at your job............. best wishes and happy years of quilting and learning ahead!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz
Originally Posted by DonnaFreak
There are all sorts of changes and splits going on at work, and as a result, there are some lay-offs taking place. Yesterday afternoon the lady who started our quilting group was informed that next Friday was going to be her last day. Other than her, there were only 4 of us who were still coming faithfully to the group, and 2 of them were friends of her from outside of work. So it looks like our little group is going to now fall apart! :'c(
I'm not understanding why the quilt group must stop just because some folks are getting laid off especially since a couple of the members were from outside your work place.

Why should that stop y'all from still going on with the quilt group?
The problem is that the lady who is basically our mentor/teacher is the one who got laid off. There were only 2 of us besides her from here at work who were going regularly, and neither one of us even sewed at all prior to the group starting a year ago. The other 2 ladies who were coming were friends of the lady who got laid off, and they more than likely won't come if she isn't a part of it. That leaves just 2 of us struggling to keep going, when both of us are about as inexperienced as they come. The group was originally started as a part of the Employee Wellness Program as a stress-reducer method.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:25 AM

can't you still join the lady and her friends at quilting time?
Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 AM

Oh Donna, don't blame you for being upset. That is upsetting. Not sure what you can do (make up your own group and meet at your house's??), but want to offer my support and compassion.