Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Opinions Please on  Washing Machine >

Opinions Please on Washing Machine

Opinions Please on Washing Machine

Old 07-21-2011, 05:37 AM

When looking at washers recently, I was told that the front loader door needed to be left open after a cycle to allow it to dry. Otherwise, the seal could mildew.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:45 AM

We had a Maytag set purchased in 1966 and was sad to see it go. 40 years and 3 service calls. 5 years ago we bought LG front loaders and stacked them in the new laundry room. These new energy efficient cycles take a bit of getting used to but it's more than worth it. The only thing I miss is being able to soak certain things but it's not a problem to fill a pail with water, bleach and pop in the tee shirts hubby gets grimy doing yard work. I usually do this at night then just dump it into the washer along with all my other whites the next morning. If making the choice, I'd buy them again.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:49 AM

I just went through a horrible year..seriously..with my new(Maytag) front loader and I would never own another one..according to both men.. who had to come out and fix it..at $200.00 a trip..if you use it a lot..get a top..so less than a year.. I have a new top loader..I'll never go back !!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:04 AM

The first front loader set I bought was the Maytag Neptune for about $1700.00 for the set. Pricey! But my first Maytag was still working (27 years old, never had a repair) and I figured it would last forever, lol. Fastforward 6 years, 2 repairs ( one was under warranty) and the mold problem in the door seal. We got rid of the washer and bought a front loader Duet by Whirlpool and I love it. I loved both of those washers (even the Neptune WHEN IT WAS WORKING!) It uses way less water and gets clothes clean. Also, it is like washing 2 loads at once compared to the top loading machines. I would never go back to top loading machines.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:09 AM

I have a front loader washing machine. It uses less water and soap and the drying time cut down. I have a variety of washing sets the longest is 48 min.

The only thing to remember is to keep the door open when finished with washing until the rubber gasket in the front is completely dry or it can get musty smelling.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:10 AM

The first front loader set I bought was the Maytag Neptune for about $1700.00 for the set. Pricey! But my first Maytag was still working (27 years old, never had a repair) and I figured it would last forever, lol. Fastforward 6 years, 2 repairs ( one was under warranty) and the mold problem in the door seal. We got rid of the washer and bought a front loader Duet by Whirlpool and I love it. I loved both of those washers (even the Neptune WHEN IT WAS WORKING!) It uses way less water and gets clothes clean. Also, it is like washing 2 loads at once compared to the top loading machines. I would never go back to top loading machines.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:10 AM

I've had my new Samsung Front Load Washer & Dryer set for four months now and I LOVE them.

1/ they use far less water
2/ they use far less soap/bleach/softener
3/ they clean for better than top loading
4/ they are so gentle on your clothing/sheets/blankets, etc.
5/ excellent for washing/drying quilts
6/ spin cycles take out 95% of the water-less time to dry
7/ if you have the steam models (I do) they are great for removing wrinkles from garments.
8/ Steam setting also great for non-washable items and disinfecting if there's someone ill in the house.

For my quilts, they are GREAT because they are not being twisted and pulled as in top loaders - much more friendly to fabrics and stitching.

Highly recommend Front Loaders.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:15 AM
QKO

We've been using the same Whirlpool Duet pair, on pedestals for about 7 years now. No problems whatsoever. They run great, take no more time than a standard toploader, hold lots of stuff, get the clothes clean, and use less water. If they ever wear out, we'll get another pair.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:18 AM

I had the same machine for over 21 yrs and only finally retired it because the housing rusted from the frame; it still worked great but vibrated like crazy. I went to the black Friday sale only intending to replace my washing machine because I knew I couldn't afford both. They were on sale for basically BOGO. I love them both. The front loader holds more clothes; gets them cleaner and has bells and whistles like setting it to soak and having it continue to wash afterwards or I can set it to wash at midnight. It uses less water and no matter what size load you put in it senses it and adjust the water for it. I always hated the fact that I could was a few loads while waiting for the dryer to finish and I always made sure my dryer could handle a larger load than my dryer. Now my dryer finishes sometimes before my washer and it too senses when my clothes are dry and doesn't necessarily go by a certain amount of minutes. If you need a quick load of laundry washed there are settings for that as well. I'm so happy that I got the front loaders; will always be my first choice now.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:28 AM

To avoid the musty smell I just leave the washer door open
so it drys out, no problem and its 5 yrs old...my friend just told me once it gets the soap and water in, stop it and you can soak your clothes, works !!!