Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Left-Handed Quilters Issues? >

Left-Handed Quilters Issues?

Left-Handed Quilters Issues?

Old 06-24-2011, 08:23 PM

Rarely- I learned to cut with right handed scissors- whichwas no small task for my mother. I am very left handed and as a small child would drop what she placed in my right hand and put it in my left. If it can't be used easily I don't buy it and find away to adapt what I have. My husband has begun to see my plite with cetain things and his creative juices kick in and he has resolved some issues I hadn't figured out how to yet. Course- I'm still the only one in this marriage in my right mind. ;)
Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 PM

Hi,

I'm left handed. With some of the Olfa cutters you can reverse the blades to the other side of cutter.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:27 AM

Never had trouble since kindergarten when grandma yelled at the teacher for trying to make me right handed. Grandma was a lefty too. lol.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I have adjusted to the right handed world and can work from the right or left. I have a fiskars rotary cutter that can be used either way. Infact most of my tools can be used right or left.
You took the words right out of my mouth! All my tools are able to be used for a righty or lefty. Bing a lefty I've never run into any problems learning to sew, but learning to crochet or knit, well that's whole other story.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:44 PM

Wow - I never realized before this thread that irons were biased towards righties. I always took it for granted that fighting with a cord was just part of ironing. My mind is blown...

Having two right-handed parents, nothing was catered to my brother or me (both lefties). Mom searched and searched for a store that sold leftie baseball mitts for him when he was 7 yo. He left it at the ball field, and that was the end of that. From then on, it was right-handed baseball mitts, scissors, and no special seats at the dinner table. Being lefty was always celebrated, but they did a good job of treating us how we would be treated in the "real world."
Old 06-28-2011, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by S D G
I don't have any problems. I guess I haven't found any thing that couldn't be used by both hands.
I am with you S D G, I have not had any problems so far. I can always get around it some how.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:14 AM

WOW, SO MANY OF US ARE LEFT HANDED. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH ANYTHING EXCEPT SCISSORS.