Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Felt Very Judged:  Quilt tops vs Finished quilts >

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 AM

You know, there are just people in this world looking for some reason to look down on other people. It makes them feel all smug and superior. Now, judging someone because they choose to display their unquilted tops is pretty dumb but think about all the other things folks like that get on a roll about--colored hair, not making beds, style of clothing, etc. etc. This list is endless. Don't worry about this. You are better than that.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:14 PM

"Excuse me? What did you say? Would you please repeat yourself? "
Followed by dead silence and un-blinking stare. With socially acceptable but minimal smile.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I am so very sorry that someone would act that way. I would never have passed that kind of judgement on someone. I think it is wonderful that you are displaying your quilt tops instead of them sitting in a cupboard or box waiting to be remembered and enjoyed. I have a quilt top that is sitting in cabinet, waiting to be quilted. I have an empty wall in my sewing/family room and may hang my quilt top there so I can enjoy it.
I say that anyone who would be so judgmental needs to get a life. I know people who have to finish everything they start before beginning something else (sorry if I step on any toes) -- well that's their "problem" or their style. We are all different. If you like to piece and then get on with another top, do it. That's what I like to do also. But when I NEED to get one finished for a special reason, it gets done.
Actually, I admire those who can stick to something all the way through, but it's not my way, so I do what's comfortable for me and what makes me happy. Amen.

I like the idea of displaying the tops before they're finished into a quilt.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:59 AM

Don't let someone else judge you! They do not live your life. I to have quilt tops hanging in my house. I rotate them to a new one ever so often. Unfortunately I do have a longarm. I have jumped right on other peoples quilts but find it hard to quilt my own tops unless I have a plan for them to go to someone.

Just because they are unfinished does not mean that I can not enjoy them. If someone does not like looking at them, then they don't have to come to my house!

Just my opinion. But you put lots of hard work in your unfinished tops. Enjoy them! :thumbup:
Old 07-21-2011, 08:08 AM

please do! Would love to see it! oops, reposting, wanted to see the watercolor quilt not finished. I thought would post right under hers. I will learn someday! kristin in ME
Old 07-21-2011, 01:49 PM

Well quilting is about the pleasure not the show. It has actually made me a healther person, and helped lower my blood pressure. Even my doctor was amazed, she actually asked me what I have been doing lately to get it so level.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:57 AM

Don't let others judge YOU or what you enjoy.

Personally I prefer creating and piecing quilt tops, that is my joy.

If they are gifts I finish them.

For myself, until I get around to it, I enjoy draping them over my upstairs railing or quilt rack, to be seen and viewed, reminding me daily unfortunately that they are NOT done, but I'm happy seeing them. I rotate them by season or color or whatever pleases me at the moment. No one has come into my home and made any comments that they are not done. I'll get around to it one day, but until then, I'm having fun making more 'unfinished' quilts.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 PM

I don't like the quilting part either. Sure you could send them out to be quilted but who can afford that. Just out of curiosity how old was this quilter at your garage sale?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:39 AM

I'm a Topper/Piecer. No judgement!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:39 AM

I'm a Topper/Piecer. No judgement!