Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
???? Longarm quilting machines >

???? Longarm quilting machines

???? Longarm quilting machines

Old 07-19-2011, 03:44 PM

I'd suggest finding a shop where you can take a class and rent time on a machine before sinking thousands of dollars into it. Even if you have to travel a ways and stay overnight, it's cheaper than finding out you don't enjoy it!

A friend who has both the money to buy and room to put anything she'd like (don't you just hate that?!) was researching LA's, had tested a couple at shows and then found out about a class/rental. She rented the machine for an afternoon, I think, and did a twin sized quilt after the lesson. That was when she found out that she didn't like doing it, and would much rather pay to have them done.

Even paying for custom work, you'd be able to have many quilts done before you reached that $8 - $10 k entry level.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Redhead
I do machine embroidery,and turn my finished pieces into quilts. The quilts I make are VERY large. The last one was the story of the night before Christmas, which measured 120" x 120". My problem is being able to quilt my quilts. They are too big to quilt them in the sewing machine. I've checked into having them professionally quilted, but was told the embroidery work would get into the way and would be too much trouble for them to do the quilting.. so I have to hand quilting them. Now here is my dilemma, should I invest in a long arm quilting machine? if so which one? Should I spend $ 15,00.00 on a fancy computer job or a basic model? Is hand guided with styus better than no lighted stylu? Every quilt shop I have called or visited has tried to sell me their top of the line models without giving me the answers to my problems. Any help and suggestions would be so very welcome and needed. :?:
There are lots of long arm quilters who will quilt your embroidered tops with an eye to making the embroidery pop. PM me and I'll send you at least one name and phone number and maybe more. froggyintexas
Old 07-19-2011, 06:12 PM

I have the HandiQuilter Avante 18". No computer but I do have regulated stitching. It is easy and fun to use. If you're just going to use it for yourself and maybe to quilt for friends, not as a business, it is perfect. The machine was $6995, I think, and the 12 foot studio frame brought it to $8200. I got it during a special but they have their truckload specials all the time.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:43 PM

For all of you who are looking or interested or even thinking of buying a reasonable priced long arm. I have the viking 18" long wrm with 10 feet Imperial frame. You can look it up here and see the features of both. I have one setup at home which i am using and loving, and the other setup is up for sale for $5500.
You can see the details of the setup here:
http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/14755.htm

Only pm if interested.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2011, 05:33 AM

Money,,big issue. Figure out what you can spend. That can direct you to certain LA's. If price is the the fthe most important prolbem then don't go looking at things outside that price range.. The LA's can intice to get more of a machine than you can afford. The lower end frames can be bought seprately from the machine. You do have to look at the machine you put with the frame.The grace frame especially the HQM has versitilty. It will quild all sizes. It just takes alittls exextra to put the needed extention on. Machine is importajt too. Speed, workhorse, the throat. Juke has a great one. there are good in all price range. If price is not a problem you still have a problem. Buy one that has lessons that come with it,plus possible divd to take home and go over. You should have fun!!!! can't over state that feel comforable. Some have a high curve on learning, if you need the extra help you have to look at those that offer domming to your house. It isn't the name. Do you like what it can do does it feel right.Can't go wrong if you have those thingsl
Julie
Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 AM

WOW, your longarmer is just wanting to do edge to edge patterns. That is where their easy faster money is. But it is very easy to do beautiful work around the embroadry and makes it pop. Look for another longarmer. There are many of us around that take the time to make them very special (and not charge an arm and leg!)

I also agree with the comments about the Innova. I have the 26" with a 14' frame. Love it!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 03:24 PM

If you can afford it, I say go for it. I bought a LA on a lark and have never been sorry. I do not do a lot of quilting for others because I don't want to be tied down after just retiring. However, I do some and could really pay for the machine in a few years if I wanted to do that much quilting.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Redhead
I do machine embroidery,and turn my finished pieces into quilts. The quilts I make are VERY large. The last one was the story of the night before Christmas, which measured 120" x 120". My problem is being able to quilt my quilts. They are too big to quilt them in the sewing machine. I've checked into having them professionally quilted, but was told the embroidery work would get into the way and would be too much trouble for them to do the quilting.. so I have to hand quilting them. Now here is my dilemma, should I invest in a long arm quilting machine? if so which one? Should I spend $ 15,00.00 on a fancy computer job or a basic model? Is hand guided with styus better than no lighted stylu? Every quilt shop I have called or visited has tried to sell me their top of the line models without giving me the answers to my problems. Any help and suggestions would be so very welcome and needed. :?:
How about hiring some groups to handquilt some of your quilts? If you think about it, It might still be cheaper per quilt.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:28 PM

I have an HQ16 and love it. This is a customer quilt I just finished. www.quiltcorneronline has a great deal on an Avante right now. They are located in Baton Rouge which may not be too far from you. Good luck in your quest for a machine. I know it is a huge investment but I get so much pleasure from my machine I think it is worth every penny. I bought a used machine in order to save money and it has worked out just fine for me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-231740.jpe
Views:	146
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	231746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-231741.jpe
Views:	142
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	231747  
Old 07-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Perhaps your LA quilter was afraid to tackle your beautiful quilt. I have quilted several embroidered pieces and have a 14 foot table so 120 inches is not a problem. Let me know if I can be of any help!!!