Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without? >

Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without?

Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without?

Old 07-22-2011, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Grann of 6- that's magnificent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, Sue. I figured it would be best to show it in working mode. I clean it up after each project. Right now it is clean, but by mid morning will be messy again. Dedicated areas are a MUST for me. I don't like to be crowded either. I also have a former bedroom on the main floor that holds my new long arm quilter.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:49 AM

Several outlets in the room that work off the light switch! When lights are out the iron is off! Pain the switch covers red so that you know which ones work off the light switch. I don't have to check and recheck if my iron is off.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:51 AM

I wish I had a large ironing table, not just an ironing board. To save floor space, I'd like one that is hinged and hooks up to the wall when not in use, but lowers when I need it.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:57 AM

You mentioned the special for your iron.......my husband put one of the electrical strips with the on/off button on them and I use that for my iron..It is so much easier to hit a switch than to be pulling out a plug each time I turn it on or off.

Lots of shelves with containers that you can identify the contents.
Makes life a whole lot easier when looking for something.

I, myself, have to have a TV in my sewing room.......like having my favorites on while sewing.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:05 AM

bookcase for quilting books
drawers to put things in
ADJUSTABLE shelves so you can change heights as necessary
plenty of counter space
scrap baskets and baskets for WIP

If I had a room dedicated to quilting, I would buy bolts of batting as it would be cheaper and reduce trips to the quilt shop. A nice place to store that would be great

I also plan to buy an Accucut (sp?) so if you have one, you want storage spot for the dies and the cutter.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:10 AM

I agree with everything everyone has said. However next to that microwave and ref you MUST have that bowl of chocolate!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your new studio--I love mine my DH made me.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:14 AM

I work in a space that is 7 X 9 so all of this sounds great! Thanks I'll put them in the someday pile.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:20 AM

I have three old doors. One for my sewing machines, one as a cutting table covered with a very large cutting mat and the third is covered with warm and natural and then with the silver ironing material. I just love having space for these three tasks. The large ironing table allows for quilts and large square items.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:31 AM

My sewing room is used by many and it is an unfinished basement. I would like to have a finished space but not decided on the expense yet. When we moved here we had a friend put the outlets in for us, he put them at table height. He suggested that the iron be placed on the the same breaker as the light switch this way when I go upstairs and turn the light off there is not a question if I turned the Iron off. It has been a wonderful feature and also it is different from the others in the same room so I don't have to worry about flipping a breaker with too much energy being on the same one as the iron as the iron is the real power puller. In American Patchwork Quilting Magazine Oct. 2010 there is a photo of Jean Wells Quilt Studio it has a door and shelf system the will give you a wonderful closet with a very functional design wall. http://www.allpeoplequilt.com put Jean Wells Quilt Studio in the surch bar at the top of the page. I am dreaming about mine being this way some day. The shelves would be heaven! Hope you go to the site and check it out. This is what they say to do. To make sliding doors, glue 1/2inch Thick cork to hollow - core wood doors. Wrap cork covered doors with flannel, staple flannel to the back. Mount two tracks an extra 1/inch apart and hang doors.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:31 AM

Next to my sewing machine the design wall is what I value the most in my sewing room. IT"S A MUST!! Trust me!

I couldn't live without it.
I use to have to look at my blocks on the living room floor and it's just not the same.
With a design wall you can really stand back and look at that saching or border and see if it works or not. Or should this block or that block be moved.