Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Opinions Please on  Washing Machine >

Opinions Please on Washing Machine

Opinions Please on Washing Machine

Old 07-21-2011, 06:15 PM

I have a whirpool cabrio top load HE washer. I did a lot of research and decided the moldy/musty odor that many people complained of was something I didn't want to deal with. I'm very happy with it.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:40 PM

I have a Whirlpool front loader and dryer. I do like them since a normal load holds double what my 23 year old Maytag used to hold. I can now wash sleeping bags instead of going to the laundromat. The washer does sound like a helicopter when it spins (makes it interesting, since we are in the helicopter flight path from our local hospital). The normal wash cycle takes 50 minutes. The dryer is much shorter since the washer really spins the clothes out.

The repairman warned me about the LG (sorry, ladies). He says that they cannot get parts for LG since they come from overseas. A customer has been waiting for 5 months for parts for a refrigerator still under warranty.
Since I am tall, I definitely bought the pedestal drawers under them and store all of my detergent here(buy it on sale and stockpile). Had to raise a cupboard since the machines with pedestal drawers are really tall.
I would have kept my old Maytag if the dryer hadn't died.

The new front loading Maytags are nothing but trouble--from my friend and the repairman. My friend had 7 service calls on it in the first year and then bought a Whirlpool). Whirlpool has bought out most of the other brands, but still makes them and puts Kenmore and other names on their machines. I did lots of research before I bought and bought directly from Whirlpool and saved a ton of money.

You do have to leave the door and soap dispenser ajar so that it doesn't get musty (no big deal for me). I stick a hand towel in the door so that the kids don't close it accidentally. Oh and I wanted a stainless steel interior so that it did not chip and rust. Whew!
Old 07-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Power Poster

We have whirlpool duet stackables. They work great and we run normally 7 loads a day. (large family) I have had them for about 3 1/2 years. Before that I had two different Maytag neptunes. They were a night mare. The front laoders run longer, take out stains better and use way less water. One tip is to leave the little washer door open when the machine is not in use else it might get musty in the drum.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:22 AM

We have the LG front loader and dryer - both on pedestals.
I don't miss having a top loader at all.
No bending down into a washer to pull clothes out!
They use a lot less water and spin out an amazing amount of water, so drying time is greatly reduced.

Do take care in wiping out the seal and front of the machine after using it for the day - and leave the door open.
If not, you may get a funky musty smell.
If you do get that smell - use a cup of OdoBan in the sanitary cycle.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:51 AM

I have an LG front loader set. LOVE them. The washer uses only 12 gal (vs 45 in a top loader), and yes it does take longer to wash, but you can stuff it to the hilt, so if you get 2-3 normal loads done in one, you really are saving time. Mine are very quiet, and the dryer "sings" when it's done:) In addition, although it does require the HE (high efficiency) detergent, it uses less, especially if you have a water softener (I do). I tracked the last bottle and it lasted over 6 months.
Also, you do need to leave the door ajar to avoid the musty odor forming, so if your washer will be in a high traffic area, this could be a problem. The washer "cleaner" does a good job on this too.
I don't have the pedestals though (too cheap too spend the money) I figure I can use the exercise.....
We got ours from Warner Stellian, and we purchased the extended 5 yr warranty, which we get back in full if we don't use. Never had a problem with mine.
Good luck in your search.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:44 AM

After listening to friends and relatives complain about their front loaders, I bought a Maytag top loader and couldn't be happier! It is a water saver, and with heavy loads I just up the water level, and things come out great! I love my top loader!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by jamsbuying
I bought an energy efficient top loader... operates the same as front loader (Maytag). I really like it. I am tall (& old) and didn't want to change the way I do laundry!
Sounds like what I have. Didn't want a front loader as I have a bad back and it is hard enough getting clothes out of the dryer. Wouldn't want to that with heavy wet clothes
Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by svsnider
Do not buy a fisher & paykel washer and dryer
I agree...I have them!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:41 PM

Bought front loader Whirlpool washer and dryer almost a yr. ago. Best purchase I ever made. Less water, gentler wash, Also got pedestals for both machines. No bending!!!! Have used only cold water for years and washes come out perfect. Kudos to Whirlpool. Oh, did I mention they are almost silent when running?
Old 07-22-2011, 01:07 PM

I am on my second set of FL. My first set was a Kenmore, and back then they didn't tell (or warn) you about mold/slime. I managed to gunk mine up with a combination of keeping it closed and using too much soap & fabric softener. After MONTHS of research and effort, I finally got it cleaned up. Just recently, the dryer started to go out, so my DH kindly decided to buy a new set. I got a Samsung steam W/D set. LOVE them! A regular wash takes 58 minutes, and it has a quick wash option that takes 27 minutes. I will echo what many others said about the shortened dry times because it spins so much water out. The thing you have to get used to is that yes, they are longer cycle times, but aren't you doing other things while it is washing? I never stand around and wait for my clothes to finish. Mine has a nice chime that lets me know when it is done.
Here's what to watch for: NEVER leave clothes in it for more than 24 hours or so. ALWAYS leave the door ajar when not in use. Wipe down the rubber seals and clean out the filter if you have one. Learned the hard way: DO NOT use too much soap, and always use HE soap. Get used to no suds. I now use Charlie's Soap (google it) and vinegar for rinsing. I spot treat with a product called Zout. My clothes are very clean. Best of Luck!