Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seriously need help with gifted blocks!! >

Seriously need help with gifted blocks!!

Seriously need help with gifted blocks!!

Old 05-14-2009, 10:11 PM

i well do my best on my end of looking to help you ,and see if i can fine something i just love those blocks you are so lucky im so :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 05-15-2009, 02:45 AM

Hi everyone,

There is also Barbara Brackman. If anyone knows, she would. She has written many books on blocks.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:47 AM

I did a test of the girl pattern. It came out fine! I'll do the boy this weekend probably and someone posted a link on the other thread about getting the pattern into PDF format.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/20144.page
Old 05-23-2009, 05:51 AM

Hello,
You are right, your links helped, those quilts are very similar and equally cute. Thanks for posting.
I'm drawing out the blocks and coloring and doodling some ideas before I ever start sewing. I'll bring my ideas to my last quilt class of this semester on Tuesday and have the ladies in the class vote on the best setting idea. I will post pictures of the finished quilt, but now, don't be looking too soon - it will take me a few weeks to complete the top, but it won't get quilted until August or September when I've had some time to save up some money to take it to the quilt shop for the job (no way am I quilting this project on my home machine and messing it up!)
I appreciate your input!

Enn the flowergirl
Old 05-23-2009, 06:01 AM

Hello,

I have given a list of names to my sister-in-law to ask around at her church group and ask the friend who gave my sister-in-law the blocks. We found an address label on the back of one of the blocks by chance so I will be putting a letter in the mail hoping that person is still alive and still at that address 15 years later. I haven't tried googling any of the names and I hesitate to do so because for some reason google gives me 1 million links that are not 'it' every time I try. I will be verifying that address I found on an online phone book like whitepages or qwestdex to see if it is still viable. It's a start.
Thanks for posting.

Enn the flowergirl
Old 05-23-2009, 06:26 AM

Hello To ALL!

I am noticing this program does not allow to offer individual replies as I had hoped, so I address you all. (now I know to address intended replies by name on this forum - will do so from now on.)

I really appreciate your feedback. I just checked in this morning because I never received any notification of any replies in my e-mail inbox, so I thought no one answered. I will check in a lot more often after this. Thanks so much for answering, all of you. I had a happy/bad day yesterday, and reading all of your posts really helped me feel better this morning. Thanks so much, all of you. Many of your links were helpful if not exactly on target, but thanks for posting them. If nothing else, they gave me so many more ideas.

Dunster, the idea you posted was beautiful. Nice job! I will consider it. I'm not too keen on so much gingham right now, but I might change my mind.
Next week after, well, PMS I'll be in a better mood and will take another look at the idea you posted. I'll also try to print out a copy to show the ladies in my quilt class for a vote.

Please allow me some time to take more pictures of more blocks, upload them, resize them, and post here. It will take me a couple days, but I will take more pictures as so many of you requested more. And OF COURSE I will take pictures to show all of you the finished quilt! I just have to warn all of you - it may be a few months. I could certainly finish the top in a couple weeks -that's after I decided on my final setting and THAT could take a couple weeks - but the quilting part will be a few months as I have to earn the money to take it to the quilt shop to be quilted. There is no way I will attempt quilting this on my home machine.

Thanks again to all.

Enn the flowergirl out in Central California down the road from Yosemite National Park.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:32 PM

Hi ladies on this thread,

I posted some updated pictures in the "photos" section - I think I called it the "Square Dance" blocks. There's a whole new thread going on that line. I posted some of my draft ideas for setting the blocks there. I have a title for the quilt - "Square Dance" - and if someone on this thread has already drafted a sample block, could you please pass it along to me? My contribution to the quilt besides the setting will be a boy block in a diamond-in-a-diamond center medallion - "the Fiddler" holding an appliqued fiddle - with the partners all around, and appliqued hearts in all of the corner setting triangles. Now I need to get a hold of that pattern so I can put a few "boys" together and finally get these blocks sewn together in some tops!
I am planning on making four sets of square panels with a fiddler in a center medallion and eight pairs in a square dance set all around. Two square panels sewn together will be a twin-sized top. I want to make two twin-sized quilts to give to the intended recipients as designated in handwriting on one of the blocks, because one of the blocks has this inscription: "Made for Margaret Griffiths and her grandchildren by Julie Nodine. 1994" I found an address label for a lady in Palo Alto, so if there is someone on this board for whom those names sound familiar, please let me know so I can get contact info for these named recipients and give them the quilts that rightfully belong to them.
As for me - if you are setting up a block exchange, sign me up! I will warn you, my "dancers" may be showing up in their pajamas or wearing Hawaiian mu-muus or will be the raggedy kids from way "up back", because there is no way my collars on the shirts will come out right, I guarantee you.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:40 PM

This quilt was done my my friends mom

The one was done with t-shirts, did it for a firend
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-66.jpe
Views:	101
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	66   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-67.jpe
Views:	104
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	67   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-68.jpe
Views:	56
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	68  
Old 02-13-2010, 03:41 PM

close up of the t-shirt quilt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-69.jpe
Views:	103
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	69   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-70.jpe
Views:	104
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	70  
Old 02-14-2010, 07:57 AM

Those are very cute. What terrific ideas! And what a great use of fabric scraps! I have about 4 boxes of scraps I am plowing through right now. The blocks from the original posting are sitting on my kitchen table on hold, waiting for a friend to help me with some special embroidery embellishments I need to finish my original idea. I actually have one wallhanging top completed and waiting to be quilted, I will be working on 4 more tops and hopefully a lady in my quilt class will help me quilt them all. the project is not dead, just simmering on a back burner right now.