Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal-Mart stores closing Fabric Dept. >

Wal-Mart stores closing Fabric Dept.

Wal-Mart stores closing Fabric Dept.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:47 PM

It really doesn't do much good to complain locally - you need to get to the "higher-ups" who make the decisions. Those suggestion forms are a good idea. I have also heard that real mail is MUCH more effective than email or even telephone calls. - At least, that's true for political issues! :lol:
Old 09-09-2007, 06:18 PM

For the 1st time EVER - I got a receipt the other day (from my purchases from the dry goods dept) asking about my latest shopping experience at WM. OF COURSE I went right to the site and filled out the questionaire. They do not even mention the "hobby" or "craft" section in the survey. I kept giving mediocre results for different departments and kept waiting for an area where I could enter my favorite dept but it never came. Does not bode well as far as I could tell. Our new super WM opens here on the 18th - I will see then what's up there. From the chatter at the older store, sounded as if there would be fabric at the new store tho'. Still to be continued.........
Old 09-09-2007, 06:35 PM

hey ya'll can i tell ya'll what i did. well one of my fav. shows is the waltons.well any ways hallmark channel had taken it off the air. well it turned out i'm not the only person who likes this show.well alot of people got on the internet my self included, well we fussed for about 4weeks. and it's back on.it wasn't a poll or a petionit it was nasty emails.but it's back on and i'm glad.maybe doing something like that might help.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:31 AM

They opened a new W-mart in Rockmart Ga, a month ago. I went in and there is no fabric dept, and I go by it every day and theres really not that much business I can see, unlike the one in Hiram Ga, that is always packed and has a nice fabric dept. They are both Super W-Marts. But I live 7 miles from the new one and 30 miles from the other one. I go to the one thats the furthest, Because I refuse to shop at the new one, The first place I go to is the fabric dept, when I go into a Walmart. Then I do the rest of my shopping.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:55 PM
bj

I hate shopping at WalMart. The only dept I ever went into is the fabric. The one close to me has no fabric now. Haven't been back. Probably they haven't noticed or missed me though.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:00 PM

Our Walmart is closing the fabric dept also, I did voice my opinion to the clerks the manager etc. as I was buying my fabric I had others there buying and we all told them what we thought as it our main store for not so expensive fabric. We have a joanna fabric store about 4 miles from us but buy there only on sale fabrics. Now Joanna Fabric here in Az. Has bought out 3 other fabric stores so you know where the prices will go now for our fabric. We have quilt shops here too, but can't afford the fabric there. Most of us make many quilts, not only for family and friends, but for charity. I live in a Manufactured home park and right here we make quilts for the needy and buy fabric at Wal-mart. I voiced my opinion as to the amount of money I spend at Wal-mart here when I come in for fabric, as it is super store and we can buy groceries there too. The interesting part is what they are going to put in the space the fabric dept. is in--would you believe Electrics, T.V. , Vidios Etc. more money in that the manager said. Will continue to protest the closing--- hope we all will and it will help to keep our fabric dept open to us. Thanks for hearing me out. Keep up the good work, in the name of quilting I am Delores a new memer.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Delores
. Keep up the good work, in the name of quilting I am Delores a new memer.
Welcome Delores, hope to see you around.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:16 AM

Hi, Delores. Welcome to the board. I, too, voice my opinions to the WM associates in WM store that still has a fabric department, but I think it is falling on deaf ears. They are not the ones making the decisions. Many of us have made our feelings known on the 800 number and on the online petition, but it doesn't appear to be doing any good. This week I happened to be in a WM that I rarely visit. They still had a fabric department and when I asked the associate when they were eliminating it, she curtly replied, "We aren't." I've come to the conclusion it doesn't do any good to pursue the matter further as their information is inaccurate and oftentimes they are the last to know. So I guess we just wait and see what happens. In the meantime, add as much to your stash as you can afford.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:39 AM
Banned

:? The Buzz is Joanna's Fabrics has been bought by WM!!!! GRRRRRRRRR!!! I don't have one!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 02:14 PM

:evil: To late for me, WM has closed out fab.long ago- just went across the street to Hobby Lobby. They have great stuff there ,pluse lots of embellishments